Sinister: eu falo portugues, kinda

Guilherme Barrella guile at xxx.br
Fri Sep 17 22:46:10 BST 1999

hello sinister and tara,

your translation was almost 100% correct. you're probably asking: "where are gui when we need him?" well, i'm here, bored and not in the mood to translate religious messages in portuguese. i think they are crap. the messages... my opinion...

anyway, someone ruined my work at the list crush site. all the days spent voting for myself.... ruined! now, i gave up. in fact, i'm thinking of unsub sinister.... i'm very bored with your mails people... could you please cheer me up? tell me something i don't know? tell me something i want to know... tell me why i shouldn't unsub... but please, don't write to tell me that i'm rude and i should leave... i'm fragile right now...

going....

gui

Taranicole at aol.com wrote:

> << Has anyone translated the Brazilian messages yet?>>
>
> I was an exchange student to Brazil a few years ago (an opportunity I HIGHLY recommend to anyone even remotely interested in ahem, “studying” abraod.  Especially if you’re a miserable 16 yr old from a shitty little town in the northeast where Perkins is the local latenite hotspot, and you’re up for some legal binge drinking in a foreign  country, not that I did that, but it’s still nice to have the chance)
> And I was saying, I was in brazil and can now confidently lie about my fluent Portuguese on job application so I took it upon myself to translate the first message.
> To summarize, it was a story about this wise old man and this other little weisenheimer who decides to test the wise old man’s wiseness.  So the second guy gets this bird and hides it in his hand and goes to the old guy and says something like “ok smartass, what am I hiding in my hand? And the wise old man says “a little bird” so the weisenheimer says, yeah but is it dead or alive? And the sage says, “well that’s really up to you. you have the decision to create the future” or something to that effect.  (I think the weisenheimer had rigged the test so no matter what the old guy guessed he’d be wrong.)  Then there’s a load of blethering about God and how you control your fate and happpiness etc etc
. basically, it’s one of those feel good chain-mail religious messages.  Like the one about the lady who buys the sexy lingerie and saves it for “a special time” then before you know BOOM! She’s dead and never got to wear it, so the moral is live life to the fullest and don’t put off telling people you love them.
> So that’s what I got from the Portuguese message, and I’m absolutely certain I’m approximately 10% correct  My head hurt too much to go on to the 2nd one.
> My aunt has just gotten “hooked” to the “net” and is “travelling” the “information” “superhighway”  She even has a yahoo mail account, which she makes great use of to forward aforementioned feel good chainmail, on like, an hourly basis.  It was cute at first (“Oh look! She really thinks she’ll win a trip to disneyland if she forwards this message to 16 people! Haha silly woman”), but now I’m getting annoyed
 like, “let me break it down for you honey, there ain’t no little girl in Arkansas with cancer who’s getting 1 cent each time this e-mail is forwarded, and I’ve received this Darwin Awards joke only about 63 times in the past week, bitch!”   but then I recall my own e-mail infancy, and the glee I felt after sending the so-called “secret neiman marcus chocolate chip cookie recipe" to anybody I knew with e-mail, and I forgive her.

> Finally, I don’t post that often, but I have to say it’s a little unfair for all you people dissing the company behind ATP.  It’s not entirely their fault they couldn’t sell enough tickets and had to cancel.  (Aside from not booking better/more bands and holding it at a better time, I mean.)  But really, how about some vitriol directed at all the  people who posted messages saying, “Oh well it’s too bad All tomorrow’s parties is cancelled, that is so UNFAIR!! it SUCKS!!!  well I’m just glad I didn’t buy tickets anyway.” ????
>
> Oh, wait, has anybody seen mogwai live in the US? Are they selling those nasty “blur” shirts?”
>
> tata,
> tara
>
> PS.  By the way, anybody who is in San Francisco and interested in some bargains, I  at Streetlight records on Market Street the other day and butter my bottom and call me muffin if I didn’t find a whole bunch of knockout sale stuff.  Upstairs, on the second floor area underneath the rack of CD singles and in boxes on the floor are many copies of B&S Eps marked down. “Dog on Wheels” “3..6
9” “LLPJ“ (I think?) and even “Modern Rock Song” were there, and priced at about $6.50 if I recall correctly.