Sinister: Don't Cast Away Stones

b j pinefox at xxx.com
Mon Sep 20 15:08:20 BST 1999

I note that folk occasionally talk about 'obligatory B&S content'. Well,
here's a tad.

I was listening to 'Sinister' yesterday for the first time in ages, and
couldn't help but be reminded of what the President of the Peter Reid Fan
Club (Greenwich Cell) has told me:

*** There's Always Been A Stones Element To Their Music.***

Older readers, and those who've rifled through Stevie T's bookshelves, will
know that Simon Reynolds used to say this once a week about the Smiths. B&S?

Not to dwell on matters like the fact that the Stones wrote 'Stray Cat
Blues' and B&S 'Fox In The Snow'; that the Stones sang about 'a block in St
John's Wood', and B&S 'a caravanette in Hull'; that the Stones have covered
a Dylan song, indeed played with Dylan, and B&S mention him in a song; that
the Stones did 'The Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man' and B&S 'Seymour
Stein' - which my poetry contacts tell me is identical to 'You Can't Always
Get What You Want'. I won't even draw on the really startling fact that the
second track on Beggars Banquet is called 'No Expectations', and the second
track on Sinister is called...

No, let's stick to these 3 big musical links:

1. You're Just A Baby. Chunk-a-chunk-chunk. Say no more.

2. The solo in 'Dylan In The Movies'. The solo in 'The Last Time'.

3. 'The Loneliness Of The Middle Distance Runner'. I've heard this from a
distance. At first I thought it was like a pastiche of 'Gimme Shelter'. Then
I thought it might be a pastie of 'Stray Cat Blues' or 'Moonlight Mile'. But
no: I have to reveal that it's a pistachio of 'Sister Morphine'.
*Seriously.*

It ain't no capital crime.