Sinister: All about my mother

Alexander Runchman alexrunchman at xxx.com
Mon Sep 20 21:40:59 BST 1999

Hello again everybody,
          As I am about to be catapulted into another enforced silence I
thought I might share a few aspects of my life at the moment. That's if
anyone's interested......
          I have a new mother. And a new father too. Which is all slightly
odd. I've not met them yet, I don't know what they're like. But I got a
letter from my mother today telling me who she was. Quite considerate I
suppose. It's not that I've abandonned or carelessly lost my current
parents, it's just I've got some more to go with them. It seems a good idea
in many ways. You must have your work cut out for you being a parent. I have
a new brother and sister too, who I'll enjoy meeting I hope.
            Eh, what is going on? you might ask. Well, it's quite simple.
I'm about to embark on university life, and they reckoned I might need some
parental love and care to protect me from the wicked lures of my demanding
tutors. Rather kindly, one of them wrote me a letter too, a very nice letter
of introduction, rather usefully suggesting that I should write an essay
about George Eliot - I can't remember the exact title, but it was about how
her novels progress from the abstract to the concrete, and how her
characters eveolved from the moral consciousness - before I go up. It's nice
to know I'll be able to find some use for my brain again, and if Mum (#2)
would make me cups of tea to stimulate me it might help. (In an ideal world
there'd be a Mum #3 too, who wears maternal pink pyjamas.)
           So that's why I'm going to be quiet - I'm back to my computerless
place in England to muse over pastoral carpenters, and rose-cheeked maids
while trying to get to know my parents. Surely scope for a Belle and
Sebastian song in that? I'll be back on when I'm more settled, and have
discovered the university computer room.
             B&S content? Erm, I remember a while ago someone talking about
Lisa and Chelsea going to a school where the boys go with boys and the girls
with girls, and thought in the light of Marcus being mistaken for a lesbian
that it would probably be an abortive experiment (because some boys look
like girls and vice versa). Do I make sense? I knew a girl once who said
that homosexuals should be allowed in the army, but should be separated from
the heterosexuals. Struck me as odd. I had visions of a Gay Pride pink air
craft carrier floating on the waves, and fun and games with rifles..... Not
of course that they couldn't serve a purpose in a heterosexual relationship.
               Sorry, that was a bit sick. I'd better go.
                                                                    Alex