Sinister: 10 Hopkinston Place

Joss Moorkens jmoorkens at xxx.ie
Tue Sep 21 19:59:42 BST 1999

Hello bedfellows.

Ailsa said on her pooter:
hearing someone ask if they could get together with Ally to make
disco babies at the weirdest party in the world (cheers, Joss)...

And there wasn't actually a ~ but maybe there should have been. For the
uninitiated, I dragged a ton of Sinister folk to a party/gig thing on the
strength of a phone message which said it was the greatest thing ever. Then
I lost them (Dr Pants said they were all in the stoner room, natch).
Needless to say, it was somewhat poor. Sorry. But isn't Stoke-Newington
beautiful? ;)

So, yes. That London business. Marvellous. Some personal highlights:
Before the Betsy Trotwood, my flatmate managed to get us in free to a free
booze thing for some terrible band called Day One. They were, of course,
utter balls, but there was this Irish journalist there who I ended up
talking metal with. As you do. He suggested we form a band for him to manage
and call our first LP 'Passport to Hell'. Then on the way to the Betsy, he
began canvassing public opinion on the tube. People on the tube don't know
how to react when confronted with such earnest questioning. A bemused
Italian man agreed that Passport to Hell was a winner, but thought that
claiming we were cannibals was a little much. Another man thought the
cannibal thing was a go-er, but maybe we should lose the shirts. Everyone
else ran away. It was a truly classy drunken display. He also told me about
being on tour with Squeeze in 1980 when they dumped their sandwiches and
booze rider in a big pile and skated around the dressing room on it. I hope
B&S do that on their next tour. Seems the logical step once the first guitar
has been smashed.
Another good bit was me and Brendan (Mr Booze Explosion, if you will) having
a Tigermilking piggyback fight with Dr Pants and Tim Hopkins. We lost, but
only because Trousers fights dirty.
My friend Sean saw notorious East End criminal 'Mad' Frankie Fraser on the
tube. I'm upset that I wasn't there. Just imagine having a picture with the
man on your wall? I could've made a brasseye style 'madometer' to go
underneath it too. (Touched up by a nonce? Oh, he'd pay for that....) For
those few interested. He politely bought a ticket and sat quietly for the
duration of his journey. The crazy loon. 'Mad', eh?
So anyways, thanks and hellos to those who were so nice. Which means
everyone except the bloke who knocked a vodka and orange over me and
wouldn't buy one back. Thanks to Pam for keeping me a chickfactor for
Saturday. Did anyone read the Steve Malkmus interview? Utter prick. I met
him once and allowed my fondness for his band mask the fact that he was an
unfriendly little shit. Still like Pavement though.
Congrats to everyone who organised stuff then.
Cheerio.
Mr Joss

np Nick Dastoor. Wanking while I write this.

PS. Paula aka Booze Explosion just phoned. She said to say hello and thanks
to folk too. So I did.

******The Secret Sinister Queen Appreciation Society******