Sinister: crazy popstar encounters

Dan McKinney polystyreneman64 at xxx.com
Wed Sep 22 06:09:45 BST 1999

Sinister people:

How goes it?  It's been awhile since I posted to the list, but I had such a
cool (and belle & sebastian-related) day that I got the sudden urge to post.
  So it goes.

SUBJECT HEADINGS
Whoever thought of the idea is a genius.  Mad props.

COOL POPSTAR ENCOUNTER
Ok, so I work as a DJ for my college radio station (92 WICB, Ithaca, NY).
Every Tuesday night we do a show called Artists Only, where we pick a band
or artist and do a two-hour special on them.  This week it was my turn, and
I chose the band Madder Rose.  The show was going along quite well, and with
about a half hour left in the broadcast the phone rang.  It was MARY LORSON
of MADDER ROSE, thanking me for doing the show!  How cool is THAT?!?  In the
fifteen years that Artists Only has been running, that's the first known
time that the actual "Artist" has called in!  Anyways, Madder Rose is my
favorite band right about now.  I haven't listened to anything else in the
past two days.  If you don't have their new album HELLO JUNE FOOL, I
strongly recommend it.  Definitely the best thing I've heard all year.  With
the exception of POSSIBLY East River Pipe's THE GASOLINE AGE.  Get that too.
    Anyone else had any strange popstar encounters such as mine?

DYLAN 'N DA FLICKS, YO
Sorry.  My ebonical self just took over briefly.  Anyhow, I'm taking a
POLITICS IN POPULAR MUSIC class this semester.  We're currently discussing
Bob Dylan's role as a political performer.  Imagine my delight to come into
class today and have the professor say, "We're watching a film today.  It
was made by E.A. Pennebaker during Dylan's tour of the UK in 1965.  It's
called, ummm....uhhhh..."  Then I blurted out, "Don't Look Back?"  And the
professor stared at me and said, "Yeah, that's it."  I sat there during the
whole film and sung B&S to myself.  People were giving me weird looks.
Little do they know why...

REACTION TO FILM
I hate Bob Dylan more after seeing the film than I did before, which is
tough to top.  What a pretentious loudmouth prick.  Nice film though.  The
TIME magazine interview is classic.

IF YOU'RE FEELING SINISTER
Or if you're not busy Monday nights from 10 to midnight US Eastern time, you
might want to check out my radio show, the UK Blitz.  We play lots of new
and old stuff, lots of B&S, Smiths, Orange Juice,  obscure Britpop, some
dance-y stuff, a fair deal of UK indie, and loads of classic Britpop etc...
If you're interested please take a gander at my website.
http://listen.to/ukblitz
Sorry to use the list for this shameless self-promotion.   I guarantee the
show rocks, though.

Well well.  That's all for now.

Rock on with your frock on,
~Dan-O®