Sinister: The Smiths

Mark Niciu markniciu at xxx.com
Thu Sep 23 02:37:13 BST 1999

Howdy,

I agree with Mike that someone new to the Smiths should begin with the
self-titled album, but "Hateful of Hollow" seems like the next advisable
addition to the beginner Mozian.  To me, "Hateful of Hollow" is their best
album (it contains the first of several repeats of my favorite Smiths song
"How Soon Is Now?") and represents an excellent synopsis of their singles
from the pre-1984 period.  And, in my mind, this timer frame represents
their best work.  Just be aware that many songs are repeated in typical
Smiths fashion on "The Smiths" and "Hateful of Hollow," e.g. "Hand in
Glove," "Still Ill" (albeit it is a different version on "Hateful of
Hollow").

Better off playin' with himself,
Mark