Sinister: Attention Darren Savage: "The Smiths" and the like

Mark Niciu markniciu at xxx.com
Thu Sep 23 16:41:26 BST 1999

Darren,

I wholeheartedly disagree regarding your claim that the self-titled album by
the Smiths is shite.  You may believe that one who contends otherwise
doesn't know their arse from their elbow, but I would love to hear your
reasons for such an asseveration.  I believe that it is their best album
from top to bottom, albeit there are undoubtedly better singles on "Hateful
of Hollow," "The Queen is Dead," and "Strangeways..."  How can you contend
that songs like "Reel Around the Fountain" (which Belle and Sebastian
covered, I hear), "You've Got Everything Now," "Miserable Lie," "This
Charming Man," "Still Ill," "Hand in Glove," "What Difference Does it Make?"
and "Suffer Little Children" are pants?  And several of these songs are
repeated without alterations on "Hateful of Hollow," so what gives?

More importantly, I live in New York and would love to know what bars in the
big apple play Belle and Sebastian.  Are their albums (and if so, which
ones) in juke boxes or are D.J.s responsible for the tracks?  Most of the
bars around me (Westchester County) only play shite like Sugar Ray, 311, and
other club hits to the reception of an audience ostensibly eager for such
crap sounds.  Belle and Sebastian would be lovely to hear as I romp across
the city bar scene.

Later,
Mark