Sinister: my nipples explode with delight

Darren Savage sav_one at xxx.com
Thu Sep 23 18:38:54 BST 1999

Hello again

Sorry to keep banging on about The Smiths, but I just
thought I'd clarify that the first album is solid but
a tad sedating at times.  The singles are ace and the
last two tracks, 'I don't owe you anything' and
'suffer little children' are very lovely.  However
what lets the album down more than anything else is
the leaden production which totally fails to capture
the early Smiths sound in its dynamic brilliance.

Morrissey has commented that the only way their songs
would have really been nailed on their first record
would have been to record it live.  Apart from the
production, 'Reel around the fountain' is quite a dull
song and 'Miserable lie's' prolonged falsetta coda is
just plain annoying.

It still knocks the spots off most albums and really
does have a wonderful charm of its own,, but I think
the other Smiths albums are just so much stronger.

I don't know the names of the Belle and Sebastian
playing bars but they were in Soho, I think one of
them was down Canal street, but I was terribly drunk
at the time.

Cheerio