Sinister: death, the smiths, hugh grant and b&s

ian ian at xxx.uk
Fri Sep 24 13:03:10 BST 1999

good afternoon,

this morning i received a small parcel.  when you shake it, it ticks.  it is
marked "from s. with love".   i have not opened it yet.
last night, hugh grant tried to break into my house.  fortunately, i managed
to frighten him off by hiding behind the rubbish bin and making a noise like
a rotweiler.  he vanished, but i could hear a whispering through my
letterbox for some time afterwards.

"eeeeaaann  eeeeaaaan" or something similar.  i told myself it was the wind.

anyway, onto today:

archel got deep:

  my homeopath asked me if i was afraid of death.  i had to think for a
minute,
>but then i internally said, 'yes you silly cow of course i am, isn't
>everyone?'  i can't imagine not being afraid of it really.  it's like, you
>know constantly that the people close to you, as well as everyone else in
the
>world, will die.

i'm not afraid of it.  i'm afraid of dying, of the pain that is bound to
occurr, but the sleep afterwards, no, that doesn't scare me.  when i switch
my mind off at night, its a wonderful feeling.  perhaps death is something
like that.
having said that, i don't want it to happen just yet.  i'd be really peeved
if it did.

you're right about things getting melancholy.  i think its the autumn
setting in.  perfect weather for morrissey...which leads me on nicely to the
next bit

firstly, is anyone going to see him when he plays nottingham on this
forthcoming tour?
secondly, "reel around the fountain" is anything but dull.  its my favourite
smiths song, and it has some killer lines.  and if you ever watch "the
collector" you'll like it even more.
but then, darren, i respect your right to find it mind-blowingly tedious

e.a. mentioned

>My ex-bf from 3 years back taped me some ridiculous Ukrainian cover
>version of 'Bigmouth Strikes Again' and some other Smith's song, which I
>forget.

that'd be "battyar" and yes, it is ridiculous

>I think "Stars of Track and Field" makes a
>perfect caption for a few of those photos...and 'terry underwear' is
>fitting, though I cringe whenever I hear those words...but the rest of
>the song rocks.

you know, the lines that made me love b&s were
"you only did it so that you could wear
your terry underwear and feel the city air run past your body"

i thought anyone that can write a song and drop that reference so
unashamedly gets my admiration.  maybe its a kitsch thing.  do you think b&s
are kitsch?

then i discovered "get me away from here, i'm dying" and i was in love...

but that's kinda kitsch too..

hmm... off to lie on my bean bag and look at my lava lamp

kitsch boy ian