Sinister: on the correct use of the phrase "soul absent voidness"

Timothy John Roberts tjohn at xxx.uk
Sat Sep 25 00:03:42 BST 1999

yeah, well this is how slow i am, some one mentioned a room for romeo brass
WEEKS ago and i was meaning to say, i saw it at the festival and belle and
sebastian are on the soundtrack.
okay, so its only ten seconds from the middle of fox in the snow, but its
quite a lovely experience to be sitting watching a film and have a piece of
music that you know and love to that extent come welling up around you
totally
unexpectedly, like after all the stone roses and stuff and FUCKEN SUNHOUSE
LIKE ON EVERY SOUNDTRACK TO EVERY FUCKEN FILM SHANE MEADOWS HAS EVER MADE.
although the film did start with a message to you rudy and end (for some
unfathomable reason) with everywhere by billy bragg, which is okay by me.
although i ought to lay off the bragg after everyone i spoke to at bowlie
seemed to think i was obsessed with him. i mean, JUST BECAUSE YOU WEAR A
SHIRT WITH A POP SINGERS NAME ON IT, IT DOESNT MEAN YOU WANT TO DEBATE THE
RELATIVE MERITS OF HIS CANON OF WORK INTO THE WEE SMALL HOURS OF THE NIGHT.
its enough to drive a man to drink. more drink i mean.
anyway...
the use of fox in the snow greatly adds to the emotional impact of the
scene. that might sound wanky but its true. i have to admit my eyes were a
bit damp. and i would recommend the film to all of yous.

on another matter, in my worthless opinion it is important what type of
music someone listens to. like when you check your brothers girlfriends
walkman and its vonda fucken sheperd, and she goes well its all a matter of
taste and you go NO, ITS NOT, ITS A LINE IN THE SAND, because its all about
feeling, and if theyre the sort of person that would appreciate SOUL ABSENT
VOIDNESS  like that, then theyre probably not the sort of person who you
would connect with emotionally. of course, thats just my own personal
experience and i wouldnt want any of you to live your life to these words,
and i would be overjoyed to be proved wrong one day.

too much coffee not enough hugs
    from tjohn