Sinister: Big shout going out to everyone I've ever met in my life ever

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Sat Sep 25 10:29:48 BST 1999

Miller wrote:

>I'm glad Slow Graffiti was tailor-made for that film about townies.
>It's my favourite B&S song because it dares to poke its nose out of
>the comfy confines of Murdochland, where birds are mad and boys are
>shy and public transport rules the roost.

Which is unusual.  He seems to be actually making a serious point about
something.  Is this the real Peter Miller or an imposter?  When Paul McCartney
had a motorbike accident in 1967 some crazy folk thought he had died, been
buried by John, and been replaced by a man with a moustache.  It later turned
out that he had just broken a tooth and was being vain.  Recently he was in a
rush to get to one of Stella's fashion shows and forgot to put his cap back on.
It was splashed all over the front of the Mirror with the headline 'CAN'T BITE
ME LOVE'.  It was a good decade for mysterious motorcycle mishaps - Dylan fell
off too and everyone thought he had been replaced by a new Dylan who wrote
terrible songs and sang even worse than the original one.  I don't think this
has ever been firmly disproved.

>My theory about the secret link between B&S and Iranian cinema
>was left in tatters yesterday by The Red Ribbon - no buses, no
>children. Pah!

Was there any wanking, though?  Recent currents in Iranian cinema are indeed
diverging from Murdochland, but I am pleased to announce that FunkySeb's latest
project sees him filling the void with typical aplomb.  It's a film about...
buses and children.  Seb plays the child but the buses are yet to be cast.  It's
an intensely personal project and perhaps I have already let the lemur too far
out of the bag.  When I joined Sinister, it was all lemur lemur lemur around
here.  Lemur this, lemur that.  Have a look in the archives if you need
assurance that the list was still appalling even when those shadowy SoSers ruled
the roost.

Anyway, yes, 'Slow Graffiti' is a bit special, even if it is stained with the
blood of capitalism's forgotten victims.  I must say, this idea that being
commissioned to write a song on a particular subject is selling out to the Man
is pretty hard-line stuff.  I mean even workers in Communist Russia got paid to
do specific jobs.  It was no good if some night watchman started unblocking
municipal drains instead and when challenged by Party Officials, started
mumbling things about artistic integrity.  That's not a very good analogy, is
it?

PJM is quite right that it's nice when B&S songs venture beyond the borders of
Murdochland.  I would like to see them write a song about the rise and fall of
the Mafia.  But what do I know?  I'm always suggesting that they do things, like
get Chris Leonard to join as third fiddle, with special popular culture
reference responsiblities, but they never listen.  Or Mrs Murdoch could join
just to keep a check on things.  I don't think there's ever been a band with
someone's mum in it, but I would just love to be corrected.  Email me
publically.

Is it just me, or was that comment along the lines of "The Smiths first album is
great, but do be aware that it condones child abuse" just the greatest thing
ever?

Nick xxx