Sinister: poetry parrot

E. A. Hostetter eahostet at xxx.com
Sun Sep 26 06:44:36 BST 1999

That was wonderful jj!!

>From a woman of wisdom...to me, naive by nature

I found this poem in the New Yorker last week...read it carefully. If
you read it too quickly, you'll miss the true meaning of the poem, which
ties up nicely at the end.

Life Is A Dream

A talent for self-realization
will get you only as far as the vacant lot
next to the lumber yard, where they have roll call.
My name begins with an A,
so is one of the first to be read off.
I am wondering where to stand-could that group of three
of four other guys at the beginning of the line?

Before I have a chance to find out, a rodentlike
man pushes at my shoulders.  "It's that way," he hisses.
"Didn't they teach you anything at school? That a photograph
Of anything can be real, or maybe not?  The corner of the fridge,
A cloud of midges at dusk-time."

I know I'll have a chance to learn more
later on.  Waiting is what's called for, meanwhile
It's true that life can be anything, but certain things
definitely aren't it.  This gloved hand,
for instance, that slides
so securely into mine, as though it intends to stay.

by:
John Ashberry

I'm so sorry that this comes on Rachel's and JJ's special day...it
reflects my tender/pessimistic view of love.

I wish you all the very very best...

The poetry parrot will now be passed onto Genevieve W...

ea

P.S. If there are any events in the UK this spring...I would like to
make it over. Rumours of ATP?