Sinister: Mum's the word

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Mon Sep 27 13:48:24 BST 1999

What did one well say to the other three wells?  Well well well.

Props to Trousse for all those mums.   However, I don't believe a word of it.
Stevie's entire musical knowledge is based upon the Spotters Guide to Rock and
Pop, which he showed to a select few at a Trouserfest the Sunday before last.
It's a fantastic book, dedicated to redefining notions of 'accurate and
authoritative'.   Its astonishing take on rock history sees it introducing punk
with the bold assertion 'There was no thought in the punk movement'.  Elsewhere
the author claims that every English guitar hero started their career in the
Yardbirds, and that the Beatles are 'the biggest myth in pop history'.  That's
some conspiracy theory.  His tone becomes particularly belligerent when it comes
to metal.  Iron Maiden's 'facile' album covers are the only way of
distinguishing them from their peers as 'all heavy metal groups are equally
noisy'.  'Belligerent' is one of two words Morrissey taught me.  Props to anyone
who can guess the other one ('prophesise' doesn't count, because he made it up).
He also taught me how to misspell 'cemetery' and 'Shakespeare'.  However,
'publically' (see last post) was all my own work.

When I was younger I used to be interested in formal logic, and started to
believe that 'prop' was an everyday abbreviation for 'propostion' but when I
spilled it into conversation everyone just looked at me blankly and so I stopped
saying it.  I have no idea why I wanted to say 'propostion' in the first place.

Hello to everyone who's new lately, especially Vesna from Belgrade.  Bloody
hell.  I nearly cried when I read your post.  Belle & Sebastian on B92?  No
wonder they tried to shut it down.  Sorry, that's not very funny.

Nick
xxxx