Sinister: Life is ugly out there but music is beautiful

Arantxa Sanz pcxas at xxx.uk
Mon Sep 27 13:55:48 BST 1999

A couple of weeks ago I posted about some dossier on Jeepster and their
kids on a Spanish mag, 'factory'.My first and best intention was to
translate the whole of it,but when I started on Saturday I thought it was
too long and uninteresting and redundant (basically I felt very,very lazy)
and thought I just would send some remarks from it.

It is composed of several short interviews with Jeepsters 'chefs' and with
each band.Chris is the spokesperson for Belle and Sebastian.The author
complains about the fact it was absolutely impossible to have a meeting
with Stuart and that made the enquiries about the lyrics quite pointless
He blames 'B&S pretended radical attitude about amateurism' and seems
quite annoyed,as 'they are not that amateur any longer,as they are making
money enough to pay the rent'.Such an attitude is attributed as one of
many JD Salinger's influences in their artwork, influence that according
to this journalist is stubbornly denied by all the members in the band.

Contrarily to this,Chris himself refers indirectly to Salinger to give an
example of what is the exact value of teenage daydreams : Salinger's wife
sold his love letters to pay their children's school fees.That's it.

Anyway,all the article is based upon the idea of how indie kids can
grow
up,face real life and their inner selves could stay unaltered.That
apparently B&S songs are about it.

Just B&S content.I am a too serious scholar for this list in any of its
lives and remakes.SOS!

Arantxa