Sinister: Mum's the word

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Mon Sep 27 18:44:06 BST 1999

Two messages in one day. Perhaps I'll get thrown off the list...

Trousers wrote:

>Nicky Dastoor, who was shakin' his botty with gay abandon on Friday
night,
>asked about mums in pop. And what a rich vein it is! Ladies and
gentlemen,
>I give you:

>>>Yoko Ono: Surely the Queen of Screech has appeared with one of the
Lennon
>brats at some time or other?

Ah yes. Yoko's most recent albums, entitled "Rising" and "Rising
Remixes" featured Wee Sean's group IMA, which must stand for
something. I thought about buying them at the time, but thankfully I
didn't bother in the end. The remix one has got a twenty or thirty
minute thing tagged on the end. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, Lee
"Scratch" Perry had a habit of recording his sons shouting, singing
and gurgling on his records, but he's not their mum. I've got one by
Jumior Byles called "Thanks We Get". It is a joyful noise. That mad
woman from Throwing Muses used to put her baby's gurgling on records
too. Montserrat Caballé sings and sometimes records with her daughter
quite a lot. Wait a minute...can you have "sometimes" and "quite a
lot" in the same sentence? To be quite honest, I don't know how often
they jam together. Folk mum Norma Waterson was on the radio this
afternoon doing "River Man" by Nick Drake. She turns it into a
pleasant drone-a-thon, sung by a right crabby old bat. Quite good.

As for fitting in with other people, I suggest you all follow
astro-philosopher Jimi Hendrix's advice and go fly your freak flag
high.

Peter