Sinister: The Boy With The Anti-Aristotelian Aesthetic

b j pinefox at xxx.com
Mon Sep 27 22:29:32 BST 1999

1. JUDE. HEY

>  PLUS today I went to one of those preview film screening that you get
>with vouchers in the paper and FINAL CUT is dead dead good if you want to
>watch obnoxious posh people be self indulgent.

Is there a list for folk who went to school with Jude Law?

We need to tell our side of the story.

And why, in his new film, is he called... 'Jude'?

2. JUDE. OBSCURE. CHRISTMINSTER.

I liked this:

>  Which reminds me, I'm back at Oxford in a week. To the offical B+S
>flavoured sinister picnic hosting spires of St Anne's college.

Oxford's nice. Cos of the "U"niversity - or despite it?

>  And Mr Dean, I just went to a dead nice pub in Hammersmith (it shows,
>doesn't it?), cool conversations at the bar about lit, film, chicks, etc.
>Oh and me big bruv milked every drop of The Who from the Jukebox. I thought
>of Sinister.

This too. It's good to know that people have started having 'conversations'
in pubs again. I haven't had one since - christ - last Tuesday.

3. RING THEM STEVE BELLS

Watched 'If...' when I got in on saturday night, which is a stunning
>film. Public school boys, eh? woof!

Bark. Howl.

Yeah, good film.

Viv Anderson. Lindsay Anderson.
Either way, one question (we're getting ahead of ourselves here, and Belgium
have to defend a corner) must have been asked with reckless abandon:

'Tell me, Mrs Anderson, why did you give your son a GIRL'S NAME?'

Malcolm McDonald.
Malcolm McDowell.
Andy.
Andie.
Pretty In Pink?

Time for an article.

Speaking of which,

4.
TEN REAL REASONS WHY PAPERCUTS WASN'T CANCELLED

I'll
>send out copies to contributors in the next day or so.

Hooray

            Hooray

                                Hooray!

Good news at last.

re. Stevie's mother / pop thing.

Mothers in pop.
Two words.
In block capitals.
(Why not?)

HARRIET WHEELER

5. GEORGIE AND HIS RIVAL

I note the presence on the list of a George Dickie.
His **** of the ****** is not so much second to my own, as not even second
to my own.

[CENSORED.]

But I've just come across another George Dickie, an aesthetician.

Here's a quotation from Ted Cohen's foreword to his 1996 book:

'Dickie is one of the first among contemporary philosophers to supose that
the C18 offers us important, defensible philosophy in aesthetics, while
continuing to insist that Kant is not so good.
   Dickie's background and energy suit him perfectly to place Hume's remarks
on taste in their context, for he has worked long and well on the texts of
Hutcheson and Hume's other near-contemporaries. Dickie's temperament makes
him impatient with Kant, and even angry at Kant for dissipating Hume's
achievement. His background, energy, and instincts give Dickie a
philosophical voice worth listening to. It should not be ignored, and
especially not by those who love Kant. Dickie is giving them a chance - slim
as Dickie thinks it is - to show that they have not been taken in. Good luck
to them. And thanks to George Dickie'.

>From George Dickie, *The Century of Taste* (New York / Oxford: OUP, 1996),
pp.vii-viii.

Now, I'm serious here, folks. (Is anyone reading this? It's taken me ages to
type in.)

Either:
a) The George Dickie on the list wrote this erudite book.
b) The GD on the list is using a pseudonym borrowed from the philosopher.
c) There's no connection at all. It's mere coincidence.
d) Here's a good one. GD on Sinister is the son of GD the anti-Kantian.

Somebody, humour me and give me a view.

If GD the philosopher really were the fellow that ***** the ******, I'd have
to bung him on the reading-list pronto.

[CENSORED]