Sinister: I can send you a postcard but you cant come to visit

The Narrow Wizard ol01 at xxx.uk
Tue Sep 28 12:52:01 BST 1999

Most of you will know that I once stood at a urinal next to stuart M and
famously didn't look at his winky. A few of you will know that I got
talking to him and was chatting away merrily for about 10 or 15 minutes. I
don't think I have told anyone, however, how this conversation ended. I
accidentally insulted the poor bloke.

We were talking about this list and I said how good it was and how unlike
many other internet groups it wasn't full of freaks with no social skills
whatsoever. He said that actually he was one of those sorts of people and
then I got kind of embarassed and ran away.

What I'd meant by my comment was actually that this place wasn't full of
the sort of people who have no life outside of their computers and attempt
to make friends on the net by asking people a set bunch of questions
designed to make them seem like normal people these are the people I was
talking about. Stuart thought I was talking about a different group of
people which he felt he belonged to.

I think Stuart felt that he was one of the socially innept freaks because
he feels that he has trouble expressing his deep feelings in words to
other people. Some of us have feelings that we just dont have the words to
describe adequately and when we try some of what we mean is filtered out
by our inability to find the right language. Even when we find the
language that expresses to us what we mean the meaning is further filtered
out by the different associations which you hold for those words. The
thing is you can never really understand what I'm trying to say unless
your me, and one thing you can never be is me. I can send you a postcard
but you can't come to visit. If I could write better postcards then you
might get a better view of where I am. It depresses me that I can't as
being useless at expressing myself leads to the sort of misunderstanding
that is documented above. I'd like to appologise to Stuart for offending
him and I'd love to tell him that he expresses himself far better than I
do and that if he did not there wouldn't be an entire comunity of
wonderfull people reading this now whose sole reason for being here is
that his music speaks to us. We can't come and visit Stuart, but nobody
ever can, and you write great postcards.

thats all from me
love
   owen

With that the narrow wizard waggled his bushy eyebrows and disappeared in
a flash of blue flame leaving behind only a faint smell of cinnamon