Sinister: the pottery pterodactyl

ian ian at xxx.uk
Tue Sep 28 18:17:30 BST 1999

ahem..
it seems that the poetry parrot will not be flying my way.  many is the time
i have gazed up at the sky, hoping for a glimpse of that bright red wing,
the glisten of a yellow beak, the cawed words of philip larkin...but, sadly,
nothing.

well, my dears, i am nothing if not resourceful.  i have been labouring away
in my cellar and have created a being unrivalled since the days of
prometheus... its amazing what you can achieve with a few broken plates,
some superglue and a human heart...

the pottery pterodactyl.  i kiss my little creation (with its 7 foot
wingspan) and toss it gently into the air.  it caws slightly, wobbles, and
rises to the sky...and it shrieks its message for all to hear.  fly my
little ceramic creature, fly like a....species that's been extinct for
several million years.  and share your love with the world..

are you listening, boys and girls?  then the pterodactyl will begin..

A.E. Houseman.

Yonder see the morning blink:
  The sun is up, and up must I,
To wash and dress and eat and drink
And look at things and talk and think
  And work, and God knows why.

Oh often have I washed and dressed
  And what's to show for all my pain?
Let me lie abed and rest:
Ten thousand times I've done my best
  And all's to do again.

To stand up straight and tread the turning mill,
To lie flat and know nothing and be still,
Are the two trades of man; and which is worse
I know not, but I know that both are ill.

are you feeling sinister now my friends?  i do hope so.  anybody may coax
this little creature down with an offering of fish, linda mccartney sausages
or dolly mixtures.  remember to stroke his head.

ian