Sinister: Toronto slagging and Beach Boys blagging

Martin Robinson martin at xxx.uk
Thu Sep 30 10:37:10 BST 1999

Guten Tag. Wie geht's meine friendens? Or something.

I have recently been to said Canadian town of infamous hospitality recently
and tried out some Toronto slagging for myself. Unfortunately I found the
white stilletos and short skirts didn't quite suit me. But the people I met
there were extremely welcoming, and accepted a couple of weirdos from out
of town with open arms. Obviously I can only defend the people I met and
not the whole city itself so I have exceedingly good things to say about
Emily, Debbie, Teri, Laura, Diane and Kevin and probably others when I was
too inebriated or hungover to remember names.

Anyway onto things I need. Ummm... has anyone a copy of the Smile sessions
by those Boys of the Beach that I can steal, borrow or get a copy of
please? I will return the favour if anyone does.

Now to disguise that shameless list exploitation with prose of the most
testicular origins. I would like to belatedly contribute The Partridge
Family as an example of mums in pop. Though I do think of her as a bad
example to other ensuing family's in pop, especially making her two year
old son who should have been in potty training at that time play the drums
to David Cassidy. Cruel. And not even Mr Jackson or the Mr Hanson of
mmm...Mattessons fame actually put there kids through the ignomy and
embarrassment of playing with them and dancing like mum's do at wedding.
Very cruel. And anyone who dismisses The Partrdges as made for TV fare then
I will debate you with Monkees. In fact there As We Go Along is one of the
finest songs in umm all the lands. Or something.

And I'm delighted to see the wit of Richard Stilgoe OBE gracing these
pages. If we can forgive his conspiring with that Lloyd-Webber character we
can delight in his Radio 4 appearances, his humourous tunes like Pam Eyres
to music, his status as High Sheriff of Surrey and the fact that his name
is an anagram of "godlier than Christ", "has erotic girls" & "grope this
hairy crotch". What a guy! Unfortunately I do not know his TV work from the
early 80's sufficiently to answer Mike's trivia question though.

Do you ever get the feeling you shouldn't have started something? Anyway,
to those who need to know I have overcome one of my deepest fears and been
to the Post Office recently.

Te ra,

Martin
ear confection recordings