Sinister: french rap and drunken boys

Marcus Omond marcus at xxx.uk
Thu Sep 30 21:53:09 BST 1999

darling, darling sinister,

first of all, the maddest props to everyone who's written to me to tell me
to stop kekking myself about cambridge - i'm still scared, but not quite so
scared as i was before, so thank you ;)  you're all lovely, lovely things.
i've been panicking today because i don't actually have a bank account at
present to pay my scholarship and parental contribution cheques into, and so
quite how i'm going to pay that eight hundred pounds bill waiting on my desk
in cambridge at this very moment is beyond me... fuck it, i'd better get
drunk and hope it disappears.  spread eagle, tomorrow night, seven thirty -
does that sound good?  see you there martin and lucy, and (hopefully) lovely
matt and geoff.  let me know.

anyway, archel (who i almost always agree with) shocked me with 'i bloody
hate french rapping'.  i dunno, i think it sounds really unbearably cool -
if you want to hear shitty rap, try swedish, czech or russian.  and some
german rap is appaling too, but some of it (kinderzimmerproject [sp?]) is
rather fine.  i dunno, i think french rap sounds really suave and sexy, like
i could just mosie up to some supermodel in a parisian bar and whisper in
her ear and impress her like in that kronenbourg advert... and to this day i
still choose kronenbourg.  whereas in fact in a parisian bar i'd get mocked
(a) for not being head-to-toe in gucci (b) having no bank account, an
unshaven face and silly hair (c) sounding and looking like an englishman
trying to fit in in an alien atmosphere.  oh well.  i dunno, i think that
french rap, like rap in most other languages, works best when the rapper
just constructs complex plays on words, and puns away for a while (à la
tribe called quest) rather than just boasting about how big his dick/ car/
'prop'/ rolex/ bank account is, or how many 'niggas'/ 'bitches' he's beaten
up.  but that's just me.

the parisian suburb slang, i believe, is called 'versl'en', which is
'l'envers' backwards.  sort of.  and it's very hard to understand, but when
you get certain words it can be rather funny.  a policeman is apparently
known as a 'kuf' - boom boom indeed.  but i might be wrong - my french is
pretty dire.  and i was told about it by a french aristocrat who made rude
jokes about arabs, so quite what he knew about the industrial edges of paris
i'm not quite sure.

what else... yes, reading the
new-enhanced-politically-correct-might-be-homo-then lady marian's comments
on her winter shoes, i started to think... ever since i started cutting off
my laces just above the holes and tying knots there instead, so i can slip
them on rather than having to bother with things like laces, i've stopped
snogging boys.  this hasn't been through any deliberate choice, i don't
think, but maybe... hmm... could my footwear customisation choices be a
subconscious echo of my changing sexuality?

while reading martin's additions to the 'mothers in pop' thread, i was
listening to 'machine screw' by that famous band 'type o negative', a song
which features the noise of a woman orgasming (or pretending to do so).  and
so, having a sick little mind, i was wondering if anyone else could think of
any songs that feature the noise of people orgasming.  i wonder if there are
as many orgasm songs as there are mummy and son/ daughter colaborations?
didn't think so.

does anyone know anything about kid loco?  i got a couple of his songs on a
tape, and they're rather fine.  as is his remix on the mogwai record.  are
these isolated incidents, or is all his stuff this much fun?

i used to sniff lighter fluid, and i think that anyone who knows me can
confirm that it hasn't done me any good,

love to all of you, you wonderful, wonderful people,

Marcus XXX

[from saturday] mjmo2 at cam.ac.uk