Sinister: back on the scene...crispy and clean

Ketan Shankardass kshank at xxx.net
Thu Sep 30 22:36:46 BST 1999

>From: Tim Hopkins <hopkinstim at xxx.com>
>Subject: Sinister: Return of the Mac
>
>If it's got a sitar on it, I'm not bloody well buying it. Do I look
like some kind of hippy? I'll listen to
>someone else's, but only so I can pull faces and tut disapprovingly.
There is no such thing as a good >pop record with a sitar on it,
anywhere. The only appropriate use for a sitar in pop music is >breaking
it in two and sticking the wide end up George Harrison's hippy Beatle
arse. And shoving >the jagged end up his nose. In the words of the
prophet, never trust a hippy.

Okay, so i haven't posted a peep in many, many months but that's just
because 1) i was in Guyana for 3 of them, and 2) i switched to the
digest which is terribly difficult to read for me...i finally took a
gander at one and i'm faced with sitar-bashing...<deep breaths>...for a
great pop record with sitar on it, try Ananda Shankar's 1970 album (i
think it's self-titled)...it's got a cover of Jumpin' Jack Flash that
rocks the free world.  I will admit to finding your George Harrison
scenario hilarious...

>From: Hershal Shevade <HShevade at xxx.ORG>
>Subject: Sinister: helpful torontonians
>
>"...this is just a request for information on any neat or notable
happenings in your
>city next week.  i will be visiting next thursday --> sunday."

let's see...first off, too bad you're not going to be in town this
weekend because Jazzanova will be djing a set in t.o....not to worry
though because the next Movement party will be on Friday, October 8 at
the Roxy Blu and will be featuring Rainer Truby (a labelmate of
Jazzanova) who is a wicked latin/"fucking nice soul" dj.  it think
tickets are 15 bucks in advance...may seem a bit pricey but Movements
are usually very nice and the Roxy Blu is a fabulous little place to
dance.  other than that, I'd say check out the Vinyl Museum...it's a big
old record store that is closing down and will have great deals!

i'm lucky enough to live in Dundas, Ontario which is about an hour
south-west of toronto...we're a happy little town that raises it's
children on a steady diet of Led Zeppelin and general "baddness"...i
kinda like toronto...it's a fun place to go to on weekends and it
doesn't smell bad (like Hamilton...the city next to mine!).  as for the
sinister meet-ups...i once met emily (??i think??) and her sister at a
Soul Clan party...it was very nice...the best part was seeing Snake from
Degrassi at the bar being VERY tall!  then there was the picnic in High
Park last spring that Peter and I tried to go to...we got to High Park
and just walked around for hours looking for the "jungle jim in the
middle of the park" (the assigned meeting place)...it turns out that the
park map didn't show a "jungle jim in the middle of the park" and we
were very distraught for the rest of the day...

take care...
ketan

ps. the person who identifies the source of the subject line wins my
undying respect and adoration...