Sinister: And like that *snap* things are better...

Askins, Joseph D. (UMC-Student) jda349 at xxx.edu
Sat Apr 1 07:53:05 BST 2000

Sigh...god bless good cinema.  I'm sure the "High Fidelity" reviews will be
rolling in shortly, and I've gotta put my vote of support behind it.  I
remember reading the book two years ago and being blown away.  It's one of
those rare occasions, like when you meet someone that actually recognizes
that quote you like to throw out or that is annoyed by the same little flub
in an otherwise brilliant movie.  HF did that for me--sure, I was seventeen,
Rob was in his thirties--but there was so much that connected.  And the
movie?  Like I said: god bless good cinema.  "High Fidelity" works so well.
The records and old stickers in the record store, the posters on the wall,
"Watch me sell five copies of 'The Three EPs' by the Beta Band," the Echo &
the Bunnymen vs. Jesus and Mary Chain argument...god, it was perfect. And
the Belle and Sebastian reference early on in the movie?  Simple and subtle,
poking a little fun at the band's tweeness, perhaps, but nonetheless
harmless and humorous.  A good plug for the band, even if "Seymour Stein"
isn't exactly "the new Belle & Sebastian."  It makes me want to read the
book again, just to slyly show off my old dog-eared copy in lecture while
all the other kids are reading their new copies with Cusack's mug on the
cover (hey, it's a book about snobbery, so it's cool).  And sorry, Brits, I
know that some people mentioned that they couldn't imagine the story outside
of London, but the movie works just as well in Chicago.  Maybe it's because
I know Chicago, I know Vintage Vinyl and Lounge Ax and such, but...yeah.
I'll shut up now.

JDA