Sinister: I blame Douglas Coupland

Mike smiley at xxx.uk
Sun Apr 2 20:58:39 BST 2000

Hello chickens,

    The other day I was feeling a bit depressed, because I was bored and
lonely and all the rest of it. And normally if I'm feeling a bit down I'll
play melancholy records. I like to listen to music that reflects my moods,
y'know. So I was really mad with myself last night when I drove my friend
and my brother to Sheffield because I was feeling happy and I wanted to
listen to Supergrass, but my friend detests them and made me choose
something else. Afterwards I really hated myself for caving in to what he
wanted.
    Whoa, I've gone right off course there. So I was feeling depressed the
other day, and rather than pick out something sad, I put Tigermilk on. This
is my point here, ready? Right:
    Belle & Sebastian records reflect any mood I'm in. It's weird, most
music is sad or happy (or middle of road, but that's boring), but B&S sound
sad when I'm sad and happy when I'm happy. This obviously makes them
fabadocious, which is a word I'll now be campaigning to get in the
dictionary.
    I've just read the new (May) Select, and a little B&S bit reminded me of
something I read. I think it was the manager who mentioned the use of a
mellotron. This is good, because mellotrons are great, grate and even gr8.
The only good thing about the new Oasis album is the heavy use of a
mellotron. That's all I have to say about that. Oh, and the new look Select
is hideous. It looks like some god awful lad's mag. Right down to the easy
to clean (sorry) extra glossy pages.
    Also the Slipknot video on the CD is about as scary as Thora Hird and
about as offensive as Toy Story after heavy censorship from Mary Whitehouse.
It was all I could do to stop short of pissing myself with laughter. I
really would like to go to a Slipknot gig and just storm the stage, cut all
the power to the PA and say "Oh do stop being silly, you're tea's getting
cold". I bet they'd cry, the wusses.
    Update on Sinister saga - my second visit to #sinister was even more
disastrous than the first. Although at least I have started to master mIRC
and it's command thingies, I did however wander off at one point to park my
car properly outside, rather than in the middle of the road where I'd left
it, and forgot to tell anyone. So if you were on #sinister on Sunday
afternoon, I wasn't ignoring you, I was just being stupid.

Adios,
Mike
smiley at rebelmonkey.freeserve.co.uk
http://www.rebelmonkey.freeserve.co.uk

Post Script: I realise there might be a bit too much B&S content here for
some people, and I promise that my next post will have no relevance to
anything at all.