Sinister: Depressing music

Alex Burton alexburton36 at xxx.com
Wed Apr 5 02:16:56 BST 2000

Okay folks, it's late and I'm bored and hungry. And I'm addcited to
Sinister. I'm trying to get through my huge backlog of messages whilst
simultaneously writing a tear-inducingly dull essay about the English.

A couple of questions:
1) Is the Sinister list officially full of 'twee fieldmice bastards' as
someone described it?
2) Is there anything wrong with a bit of tweeness occasionally?
3) Is Isobel Campbell God?
4) Will I ever find meaning to life and other profound philosophical
questions?

But more importantly, I've been wondering. A friend of mine doesn't like
depressing music because he says that there is no talent in inducing teenage
angst - we do it well enough on our own thank you very much. He likes to
listen to uplifting music when depressed.

So I thought I'd use that old chestnut of a letter to a newspaper editor -
usually The Mail or Torygraph - where they open by asking 'Am I alone?' Thus
forcing other readers to respond and let them know that there is indeed life
out there... somewhere...

Am I alone in preferring to listen to melancholic music when depressed? I
find it comforting that other people understand me, have worse problems than
me, have experienced the same things as me..

I went throuh a very miserable period of listening to nothing but Joy
Division (THE most depressing band ever.. both lyrically and musically) The
Smiths (THE best band ever and THE best frontman) and occasionally Arab
Strap and B+S. B+S are unique in being both uplifting but also sad when you
need it. Some songs are twee like Ease your feet but others like We Rule the
school make me cry.

What does everyone else think? Should I be listening to Steps?

Mr Tragedy