Sinister: Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

Juan Carlos Moya jcmoya at xxx.net
Thu Apr 6 05:43:52 BST 2000

Basically, I'm not cool enough.
Actually, I'm too cool.
No one in this town knows how cool I really am. That is of course with
the exeption of my girlfriend, (who thinks I'm very cool), a few
friends, (who have all gotten together and agreed that I'm cool), and my
parents (who made me cool).  But generally speaking, I'm not that cool.
Overall, this is not such a bad thing. You see, I live in Miami,
Florida. A very, very uncool place. (I mean, we have two seasons here,
hot and hotter. and the music scene reflects this. It sucks, there's
virtually no variety and a general lack of bands.)
However, this town just got a little cooler.

Allright, I'll cut to the chase without using the word "cool" again,
dig?  There is now a place where those of us in Miami who don't really
care about dance music can go. It's Sat. nights at a bar called
Picadilly, in the fashion design district, (a relatively old area where
nothing really happens at night and all they do is sell overpriced
antiques during the day...), and the night is called "life."  At the
door they take your five bucks and they ask you, "how did you hear about
us?" You say word of mouth, or internet, or whatever and then you get
stamped you go inside and you dance like mad to Belle and Sebastian.

Yep, I said Belle and Sebastian. I had to request it, but it was played.
"Is it Wicked Not to Care?" and "Sleep the Clock Around." That's two
songs in a town that two years ago only had two people in it who knew
who B&S were. A club outside of the UK or New England that plays B&S.
I'm overjoyed. It's too bad that I can't go back for another couple of
weeks, but if it's still there, I'll be there too.

Speaking of "being there," my girlfriend and I will be in Toronto from
the 20th of April until the 29th or so. Since the Toronto listees are
notorious for the unholy amounts of fun that they have, I was wondering
if such a meet up can occur sometime during that week. Perhaps, there's
a Sini-bear who needs a new home? We're willing to adopt one, but only
after the libation has flowed freely from tap to glass. Really.

That's enough for now.
Toodles,
Juan Carlos