Sinister: a black fox fable

julesmarkham julesmarkham at xxx.net
Thu Apr 6 09:53:46 BST 2000

hola chucks,
well the sky is blue and I'm feeling a little wistful so...

The black fox slumped down at jubilee's feet and sighed heavily. Jubilee
glanced down from her book, then carried on reading. The fox sighed again,
tucking her pointed snout between her front paws. When jubilee still made no
response, the fox rolled over onto her back and groaned loudly, her spiky
limbs akimbo.
-Too much curry, fox? Jubilee enquired, still engrossed in her book.
The fox scowled and rolled onto her stomach.
~No! I'm in the pit of despair!
-Sounds more like indigestion.
The fox butted her leg gently. Jubilee put down her book and looked at the
wistful creature at her feet.
-Dear fox, what troubles you? She asked in her most respectful voice.
The fox hung down her head in sorrow.
~As you know, I have no shortage of friends, The fox began.
-Your generosity is legendary, Jubilee added quietly, knowing what she said
was true. It was also true that the fox had no shame, and would leap on any
stranger just because she liked their hair, or shirt, or was just feeling
bored. She would see someone, and decide that she liked them, and they had
little choice in the matter.
~I have these friends and I make new ones every day... So where do they all
go?
Jubilee frowned and shook her head.
-I don't follow you, fox?
The black fox climbed up onto her lap and sat down, regarding her with
slanted red eyes.
~They never seem to stay around long. I mean, look at scanner, I never see
him anymore, or the goose, or otesse, I hardly ever see the kestrel or the
mouse...
Jubilee stroked the fox's long ears gently.
-well scanner is doing his own thing now, like the kestrel and otesse.
Things move on.
~Then why do I get left behind?
The fox pressed her face into jubilee's stomach.
-Fox, you find lost people. You try to fix them like they're broken toys.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but... They get found, and they
move on. And when they're sad or lonely they think of you, and feel better
for it, for having known you... But they're only yours when they're lost.
The fox said nothing for a long time.
~So why do you stay?
Jubilee shrugged and smiled.She gave the fox a cuddle.
-I'm not so much lost as mislaid. I'm down the back of the sofa of life.
The fox closed her eyes sleepily.
~Mnn, life isn't a sofa, it's more of a lampshade...umbrella... central hub
with spokes and fabric.. a framework.
The fox yawned and curled up into a ball on Jubilee's lap.
-You're metaphor for life is a brolly?
~No... Life is a duck egg tree, a vegetable lamb...
Jubilee looked down at the fox, who was almost asleep.
-You mean unfathomable? She offered.
~Improbably, highly unlikely...theoretically speaking we're not even here...
Jubilee frowned to herself.
-But we are here, fox. Fox?
The black fox was snoring softly. Jubilee poked her in the belly. She sat up
suddenly.
~Hmmmpf?
-Fox?
The fox shook her narrow head and yawned.
~What was the question again?

hope you enjoyed,
jules x