Sinister: Planet NAY

Toby Blake toby at xxx.uk
Fri Apr 7 13:50:49 BST 2000

> Before I go, am I the only one who didn't think the book "High
> Fidelity" was much cop? (BARRAGE OF YESS!)  It's a few years since I
> read it but I don't remember it that fondly. Everyone I've lent the
> book to since has loved it. To me it just seems such a diluted and
> tame idea of "laddism" that Nick Hornby aspires to.  It's
> responsible for everyone from Chris Evans to Zoe Ball anally "Top
> Fiving" everything.

Hmmm, it seems that poor old Nick Hornby gets the blame for a lot of
things these days - the middle class takeover of football is,
according to some, because of Fever Pitch and now the antics of
pathetic media types such as Evans and Ball is the fault of High
Fidelity?  Come on now.  I'm not sure what you mean by "laddism" but
there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of what I would class as laddism
in any Nick Hornby book.

> The big plot development, toward the end of the book (which I won't
> reveal for those who have yet to read it), which supposedly explains
> away the characters lack of ability to commit is soooo LAME! It is
> built up to arrive as a live changing revelation whereas it arrives
> with a dull thud. I could go on but I fear I may alienate myself
> even more than I already have.

Not with a bang, but with a whimper, eh?  It too is a while since I've
read High Fidelity but I always found the central character's honesty
about his own personality flaws to be quite charming.

My girlfriend dismisses B+S as overly-precious, yet is a huge Smiths
fan.  I reckon it could be to do with the singing, or perhaps an age
thing.  She also prefers Brix-era Fall.  Can anyone explain these
things?

Toby