Sinister: a day in the life

Mai Nguyen mai.nguyen at xxx.edu
Mon Apr 10 06:51:53 BST 2000

hi everyone.

	i usually don't post to the list, but i had a lovely b&s-related
experience today that inspired me to write this e-mail.  i have a feeling
that this post is going to be a bit cheesy, but too bad, i cannot help it.
i won't be offended if anyone decides to delete this before reading past
the first paragraph.
	alright, so my sunday started off with looking outside my window to find
that the whole campus was covered in snow.  so much for spring, i guess.  i
spent the rest of my day indoors researching for a paper, refusing to step
outside my dorm hall because i scared to face that beast of a blizzard.
even looking outside the window at the snow furiously blowing sideways was
too much for me.  so 7pm rolled around and the blizzard had passed, leaving
us with cold, wet, and windy weather.  my friend and i had to make a trip
downtown to return the movie that we rented the previous night, 200
cigarettes (i liked the movie a lot, by the way).  the off campus shuttle
that we were planning to take, of course, was not running for some odd
reason.  so as we hiked down this big and icy hill to get to the video
store, the weather was soo nasty it made me want to cry.  my cheeks reached
the point of almost being frost bitten- they hurt and were hard and swollen
(that wasn't meant to sound smutty in any way, but i just didn't know how
else to describe them).
	after we returned the movie to the smelly rental place, my friend and i
headed down to our local favourite coffee shop with the
jungle-like-interior.  the second i stepped into the shop, the lovely
sounds of 'you're just a baby' filled my ears and all was well for the next
30 or so minutes.  i haven't listened to tigermilk, my favourite b&s album,
in a while so it was really nice hearing it again.  the thing is, it
wouldn't have been the same if i had played the album in my room earlier
today, or at any time for that matter.   even though i know that stores and
shops have the same b&s albums that i do, it just sounds so different when
they play it.  and i guess it isn't the sound itself that is different, but
the feelings that i get when i hear b&s in public places that is different.
 its great to know you have a common bond with someone else in the room.
its even better when you sit back and think of all the people in the room
who are listening to the same music you are, only a few are aware of its
brilliance.  the whole time the album was playing, i could not concentrate
on reading about politics in india at all.  instead, i just looked around
the room and smiled the whole time.  and after the album ended, i wanted to
hear it all over again because it was the first time in a long while that i
was actually enjoying myself.  instead, they put on midnight vultures by
beck.  that was fine with me though (not as if my approval is of any
importance) because my friend and i proceeded to sing along and 'dance' to
the first five songs of the album.  we reluctantly left the coffee shop and
started the long hike up the hill.  i seriously thought i was going to die-
high winds, icy and sometimes slushy snow, unplowed sidewalks- it was bad.
not to mention the fact that my nose and the area just above my upper lip
were completely numb and it hurt to breathe.
	i guess what i am trying to say is that the highlight of my day was
hearing b&s at my favourite coffee shop.  and because of that, i can say
that my day wasn't all that bad.  it was good for about 30 minutes (or
however long listening to 'you're just a baby' to 'mary jo' is).
	so yes, that was the wonderful story that i was dying to tell you all.  i
know this e-mail is a bit on the long side, but it is a result of my lack
of writing abilities.  maybe my next post, which is due sometime next year,
will be a bit shorter.  unless, of course, i decide to post to the list my
stories of stalking the band on their summer west coast tour (if they
actually do have one).  only a restraining order from the band (or
well..lack of money, a job, parents...) will hold me back.

missmai xx