Sinister: Re: Half Blaked

Toby Blake toby at xxx.uk
Tue Apr 11 00:31:18 BST 2000

> But Toby, how could he be "so in touch"/"aware" of his personality
> flaws (apart from the big plot changing one), recognise them as
> flaws (whilst once again failing to recognise his BIG flaw), choose
> to ignore them AND remain charming?? Whilst I am aware the human
> psyche is a complex thing and one man's flaw is anothers strong
> point, I have little sympathy for someone who is so self aware as to
> recognise their own flaws and yet is (at best), too lazy to correct
> them.

I didn't say I found him particularly charming, but I do think there's
something refreshing about a character with personality flaws who is
too bloody-minded and lazy to do much about them.  It makes a welcome
change from hero realises problem is with his own character and
corrects it.  It's a bit more realistic behaviour and easier (for the
more idle among us) to identify with.  Or is everyone else on the list
engaged in rampant self-improvement?

> Then again, who am I to judge? It's a book, I thought it was weak. I
> have seen fever pitch, I thought it was weak. I await to be
> persuaded about the merits of Nick Hornby.

When you say "seen" I presume you mean the film.  It's terrible and,
as was inevitable, attempts to put a plot to a book that naturally has
no plot.  In those days, books about football were a lot rarer than
today and Fever Pitch was a very intelligently written book about the
noble art of kicking a ball about a field.  It does a good job of
explaining the impossible to explain.

About a Boy was shite though, eh?

Toby