Sinister: Manvers in dark comedy

Youn J. Noh ynoh at xxx.edu
Tue Apr 11 00:33:15 BST 2000

Hi Sinister,

First of all, what is 'manvers'?  It sounds like it was supposed to be
manoeuvers but got truncated in an interesting way so it ended up like a
name from a book by one of the Bronte sisters.

Is wine not drunk at concerts?  I suppose it's a mixture of old people
trying to be young and young people trying to be old, a symptom of both
being the drinking of wine at pop music concerts.  But wine is better to
drink than beer.

The singer from Cat Power sounds intriguing, but it's a matter of indirect
self-flattery, i.e. I think I'm like that. (If I really were though, I
wouldn't go on like this.  Does the recognition of egotism masked as
self-consciousness get you off charges of both?)  Yesterday his best
friend teased me for saying 'sorry' a lot. (Well I don't know if they're
best friends.  They're often together.  I find camaraderie between members
of the same sex intriguing.  Not necessarily homosexuality, but as in a
book: Olivier liked Bertrand so much that he was embarrassed to show his
preference for him.  Or as when PF said that ND was the coolest smoker.)
Do you sometimes feel like a character in a book, about to fall for the
wrong person, maybe to no consequence in real life, but nonetheless
ultimately the sign of a moral failing, for which you'll have to pay in
tears?  For example, what if he is not only intelligent but competitive
and ambitious, as well?  But when did kindness ever win hearts?

So Neil Robertson wrote me a message in reply to a question about tour
dates and called me a lucky guy. After seeing "Boys Don't Cry", I don't
think I mind.  When Stuart sings of boy-girls, I thought he meant boys who
were like girls, but the character in this film, a female with a sexual
identity crisis, is called (or calls herself) a boy-girl.

When I read Alix Campbell's posts I think of Morvern Callar.  Someone
recommended that on LLLL, but it was a bit too hard for me.  I couldn't go
through with it.

Keith Watson takes nice photos.  The stoplights in Glasgow look nice.

Yours,
Youn