Sinister: Stuart Murdoch's ATP gossip

Stuart Flanagan punkboy at xxx.uk
Tue Apr 11 19:34:22 BST 2000

How do

Like quite a few of you here I was at the ATP festival over the weekend.
All in all, not a patch on last year's Bowlie - none of the friendly
atmosphere, plus the vast majority of the bands were, frankly rather crap.
But still the weather was fantastic on the Saturday, and it was a brilliant
day down at the beach.

Myself and my 3 chalet-mates were interviewed for some new website called, I
think, "k-grind.com", the bloke said it would be up in a few weeks.  For
some reason he was really keen on understanding how we got into music, and
if we were persecuted for liking alternative music.  Yeh, I'm often stoned
for wearing a Hefner badge....

Anyway, as far as bands go, so many were such a great disappointment,
especially the appalling Sonic Youth, who persevered with 4  fifteen minute
tuneles drone dirge improvisations, even though no-one was interested..
However, delight was to be found in the heart-stopping Sigur Ros and the
wonderful Alfie, who seemed to charm everyone who saw them.

But undoubtedly the highlight for me was being served by Stuart Murdoch at
the merchandise stall.  After gathering ourselves together after being
quvering wrecks in the presence of such stardom, we asked him what he
thought of the line-up compared to last year, he said most of the bands
weren't his cup of tea, but he did enjoy Sigur Ros.  As far as tours go, he
said B&S would be going to the States first, and then some UK dates in late
summer.  I asked him if he'd be playing Belfast (my hometown), and he said
he definitely wanted to, what with Richard's Snow Patrol connections.

Also, I was talking to Johnny Quinn from Snow Patrol, and he said he's
bringing Chris & Richard back for a return DJ set in the Belfast Limelight
next month, so watch out for that.

One finally thing, was anyone here on Sinister in the Covent garden Rough
Trade shop on Mon at about 3pm ?  I saw a chap with glasses, brown jacket
and shoulder slung bag there with an upside down B&S prefect badge.
Just curious

Hope this informs and entertains

Stuart Flanagan