Sinister: *Another* Sunny Day? Alternative ATP

P F pinefox at xxx.com
Wed Apr 12 14:24:28 BST 2000

Sitting here in my safe European home, I noted that Stuart F had said:

Like quite a few of you here I was at the ATP festival over the weekend.
All in all, not a patch on last year's Bowlie - none of the friendly
atmosphere, plus the vast majority of the bands were, frankly rather crap.

Hey, come on, kids, lighten up. It was great stuff. Here are a few
highlights picked at random:

1) *Meeting Andy Rourke in the Queen Vic pub*. The hair's changed, the
musical style stays the same, as do the 80s jeans. It could only be him. I
asked him about being overpowered by funk. He said he'd never been a punk.
It was loud in there.

2) *Stereolab on Friday night*. They showed there was a lot more to them
than that enigmatic Franglais retro-futura schtick. Grunge, for starters.
They're also a band that make you *think* as well as just vibrate. I came
away with a new take on House of Lords reform.

3) *Anticipating What The New B&S Album Will Sound Like*. Once we got
together (having recognized each other thanks to the badges), we just
couldn't stop! We came up with some crazy ideas. I just can't wait to hear
'I Fought In A War'. Rumour is it's heavy. Kind of like Stereolab.

4) *Victory of Team NME in the 5-a-side Tournament*. It was great to see
some 'indie' people snatch the prize from all the 'football lads'. Their
main rivals, the beery and blokeish Slot Jockey (ugh! horrid name!!), had
some fine individual talents, but they made the mistake of appointing John
Toshack manager. He just can't handle stars, you see: he's OK at small
regional outfits where he can foster ethnic, anti-metropolitan togetherness,
but put him in with a few primadonnas and he blows his top. When the lad
Cook said he'd only be a sub, Tosh made the fatal error - yet again! - of
saying he was playing from the start or taking the first bus back to Rye.
Scenes ensued. You'd think Tosh would have learned after the Real
experience, but no. Telepathic, yes; good man-manager, no.

5) *Rolling Stones Covers*. For too long, contemporary bands have shyed away
from the legacy of the Stones, as though in some kind of
Anxiety-of-Influence denial syndrome. But at last that vibe broke cover: and
where better than at ATP? There was Sigur Ros' 'Lady Jane';  The Chemistry
Experiment's 'You're Just A Baby'; Delgadoes' '19th Nervous Breakdown' (with
'breakdown' bass part played on a couple of violins!); Martin Carr's
late-night solo acoustic 'Bitch'; Sonic Youth's 'She's The Boss' (OK, a Mick
number really - but close enough for free pedal impro action); and Mogwai's
'You Got Me Rocking' - a real left-field choice to end the whole shebang,
with Ian Stewart (!!) on keyboards stage left.

So c'mon kids (to quote the Radleys!), realize that we have a top music
scene vibe and we'd better 'use it or lose it'. !!

One Barbara Ellen
There's only one Barbara Ellen