Sinister: Rhizomatic? Greased lightning

P F pinefox at xxx.com
Fri Apr 14 14:25:44 BST 2000

Hey, it's B&S content time. I note that some jester, replying to my last
Chris Evert, I mean, effort, said that Stuart Murdoch wasn't very good at
footy. He said it in different terms from those - he used almost industrial
language, Melvyn - but I'm not a believer in swearing in print. I think his
whole post was 'ironic', anyway, but I'm not good at detecting that. I do go
to an evening class on it, though, run by former Osasuna forward Michael
Robinson. But he only speaks in Spanish nowadays, so progress is slow.

Well, what I want to establish here is that on ATP evidence, Murdoch is a
*surprisingly good footballer*. There are two categories of people to whom
SM's skill won't be a surprise:

1) folk who think he's the spuming fountainhead of galactic talent and is
equally brilliant at *everything*;

2) folk like Ally1996, who've probably been playing with him on 'scratch
pitches', 'ashpits' and 'tenement cellar floors', with 'wee bairns' for
opposition, for the last 16 years.

But to the rest of us - well, to me - it really was a surprise how good this
fellow was on the 'pitch', I mean, pitch. As others have already remarked,
he doesn't have an ounce of flab on him. Butter, maybe, I didn't check his
pockets; flab, no. He was surprisingly muscular in places. Still, you can be
a tough guy and still lack talent. Ask David Ginola. But this lad had pace -
he covered ground very quickly - stamina - he stayed on, once he'd entered
the fray, and never looked tired - and sufficient resilience to carry on
playing once he'd gashed himself. His passing was sound, he was comfortable
with the ball at his feet, and he packed a real cannonball of a shot,
although, like real cannonballs, they weren't always accurate. But who is,
in the pressure of a 5-a-side game? Well, the rest of the Jockey strike
force, admittedly.

Apologies to those who think this is just football talk for boys. But for
one thing, you can wheel it out next time anyone says B&S are shrinking
violets. They're growing chrysanthemums, mate, and not just in their
window-box. For another, it struck me that SM must be - and I hope to cause
no offence here - better at footy than, say, 80 per cent of the members of
this list. That's notwithstanding the fact that there are some great players
on this list, and that many of the rest couldn't give a Socceroo about the
game, about which I promise to fall silent after I finish using language.

Add to that the fact that Murdoch is, let's say, and again no offence to any
pop stars or anyone else out there,

A better guitarist than 90% of sinister
A better singer than 95% of sinister
A better songwriter than 100% of sinister, unless there was anything in that
rumour about the lad MacManus joining in February

- and these are pretty conservative estimates - and, well, it just needs
Steady Mike to put them into his master-computer and prove how gifted this
fellow is. In short, I am just beginning to agree with the folk in category
1) above. We really do have a bit of a spuming fountainhead on our hands,
and splashing all over us.

Silence, as promised.