Sinister: Something About... Passing The Football

P F pinefox at xxx.com
Mon Apr 17 19:55:10 BST 2000

I have been struck by the amount of stuff churned out of the earth, not to
say the turf, by the sinister tractor.

There's been a lot of impenetrable talk about 'The Eurotrash Theme Tune'.
What's all that about? I think too many folk are watching too much bad TV
around here. I keep seeing references to 'Ant and Dec', 'GMTV', 'CDUK' and
the like. Next thing we know, it'll be the Sporty Spice & Lulu Fan Club and
Noel's Late Late Breakfast Show. Keep TV at Saturday 12:20 and 10:30, kids,
any more is dangerous.

The Hewitt talked about worldwide picnics, very cogently. But why the
reference to bottles of cheap red? Are they the picnic drink of choice since
I've been away? I don't know, in my day it was cans of cheap lager;
baguettes; large crisps; talk about Dostoyevsky; East European
classical CDs (I'm *still* waiting for that CD to come on at a party.
Whatever happned to it?); Carol Decker, if you were lucky.

Black Box were Italian, no? She, or whichever she it was, certainly sang
like a wounded stallion, not to mention a chicken. Speaking of which, why do
some of us harbour falsified nostalgia for late-80s Melody Maker when it
proclaimed the mid-summer UK top 3 singles the best on, so to speak, record?
Only we can say, and we're not, cos we can't.

Lucy A and Paul F seemed to request visual, and preferably visceral,
evidence of the Murdoch footy palaver. The curious thing about the event was
that there was *no evidence*. Cameras stayed unfilled, binaural mics stayed
sheathed, blood was spilled but went uncollected.  I'm just wondering which
of us will be the first to crack and admit that *it didn't happen at all*.
Darn! I just did.

Nick D was really bang on the money on those UK / US / or was it Canada?
polarities.

He said: we want to have a proper winter. And we do, and once upon a time we
did, like he said.

He added: we do play hockey. Which some folk do, which, whatever its other
egregious effects, once allowed Barry Davies to cry 'Where were the Germans?
And frankly, who cares?'.

He said further that we don't see famous people in these parts. And
naturally we don't, save in precisely the ways that he enumerated. I'd only
substitute Simon Callow for Alan Bennett, and Scully for that matter, and
her partner Alan Moulder. If there's one famous London person you can see
whenever you want, it's Simon Callow. He's your man if you're into bow-tied
oblivious struts.

Come to that, rumours and sighs abound. The boy Troussé once saw the
Modfather himself, the Weller - but which was the more impressed by the
encounter? Steady M once saw the Sundays, without even paying. Still, this
is just talk; it's written on the wind, it's everywhere I go.

They say that all good things must end some day