Sinister: Will the fight for our sanity be the fight of our lives?

Walkn10 at xxx.com Walkn10 at xxx.com
Mon Apr 17 21:48:12 BST 2000

I caught the Flaming Lips and Looper twice this past weekend; once in
Baltimore and again in Philly with Lauren Tigerxdare of the Sinister
illuminati.  Looper was pretty neat, they sounded alot better this time than
when they headlined their own tour this past summer...more meat to the music
and better tunes.  Stuart said the exact same jokes (verbatim) two nights in
a row, but he definitely seems alot more comfortable as a front man than he
did before.  He even mentions South Park in one of the new that goes
something like "These things almost make me smile..".  I thought he looked
really sickly, like he had TB or something, but maybe thats just him.  I
still can't give myself entirely to them, but Lauren seemed to get a huge
bang out of them, so I'll leave it to her to give us a good review.
The Flaming Lips, however, must be experienced.  I'm sure most of you caught
them at Bowlie, so you're already aware of this, but anyone who hasn't seen
them live is really missing out.  It was easily the best show I've ever seen,
because it wasn't so much of a show as it was an event.  Confetti, rabbit
suits, strobe lights, disturbing background films, smoke machines, theremins,
fake blood, and, of course, the ever-present 3 ft. gong...it was fucking
brilliant man.  It was a pretty good approximation of an acid trip, all in
all.  All the drums and strings and whatnot were played from the CD over the
PA, while the three members played all the bass/guitar/piano and vocals.  I
agree with Nick, that albums are so much better than concerts (although I do
like concerts), and the Flaming Lips were sort of the synthesis between
recorded medium and live performance.  I urge anyone with the opportunity to
catch them on the last few dates of their tour to do so...you won't regret it!
Doeas anyone laugh like an ass during those "When Animals Attack" specials?
I guess its supposed to be really serious and dramatic and stuff, but when
they have they supposedly "tame" animals just going apeshit and mauling some
unassuming passerby, I can't help it...sue me.
I heard Christa Chaffiinch, a Sinister-ite formerly of DC, moved to Philly
recently...is this true?  I'd email her privately but I'm guessing she had
her screen name changed if she did move.

Elian Gonzalez