Sinister: You can keep your Bedsit Infamy, I'll break your legs if you stop me dancing

Calumn Shearer calumn at xxx.uk
Mon Apr 17 22:52:00 BST 2000

and yes, it's a reference to Baxindale, for them's that wants one.
(Papercuts CD... "Music For Girls"... Sheer Brilliance... Why did nobody
warn me?)

anyway...

Juicy Lucy Alder wrote:
<several words regarding nipple bleed>
and also:
> "Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to be
> Phil Oakey of
> the Human League"
> He had the lopsided haircut

which was all true: I saw the programme as well.
I did prompt me to think, however, that they must use the same "curl under"
wig for Phil and Sandy "beach" Shaw. the only difference is that Sandy gets
both sides of the wig.

> Miss Llew enquired, some time back...
> >>What did Italy ever produce...besides Michelangelo,
> >>Leonardo da Vinci, and
> >>the Renaissance?

or, to quote The Python... "what have the Roman's ever given us..."

And the omnipresent (in this e-mail at least) Jooster Looster Replied:
> I'm desperately trying to think of Italians who've made an
> impact on the
> charts, outside their own country, but I can only think of
> Sabrina ("Boys,
> boys, boys, I'm looking for a good time...")  Any pop
> trivialists out there
> care to help me?

Well, if if it's Top Pop Italians that you want:

<<Shameless Plug!>>
Suicide Sonnets, including our very own listmember Marco#7, hasn't quite hit
these rocky shores yet, but once it does, boy! It'll be huuge! ("come on in,
boys... have a cigar")

but to answer your question:

the one, the only (hit by)
Joe Dolce. (see below for a full description, but basically...)
Joe Dolce is a platinum awarded musician and composer. He is most well known
for his song Shaddap Your Face which sold 5 million copies in fifteen
countries.
as "Joe Dolce Music Theatre", Shaddup Your Face was the UK #1 from 28/2/81
until 07/03/81 when it was cruelly kicked off by Roxy Music "Jealous Guy" -
a song inspired by Joe himself!

http://www.starnet.com.au/dwomen/SYF.html has screeds of *really*
interesting stuff about the song, honest...

Just in case you think I'm on a bit of a Joey-D kick here, I'l move on...

Keith spake thusly:
> do any of the other
> readers know of
> famous pop stars who have quit the business to play a sport?

Hello, and welcome to the list, Keith.
I belive that the aformentioned Joseph P Dolce left the world of
excruciatingly bad pop (or indeed P!O!P) to become a taxi driver in Rome.
Not actually an olympic sport yet, but it's pretty close to Formula One.

Sorry. back onto Joe there for a while. (oh, well)

I'm going to follow this message with an "unsubscribe", but don't worry, I'm
just moving e-mail accounts and I'll be back to full-time lurking real soon
now.

Yours,
	All yours,
			Calumn "the big Scottish Pishhead"
some of this e-mail may not be entirely true. don't blame me - you're
reading it!

Meet Joe Dolce (this is all true, folks...)

Joe was born in Painesville, Ohio, late in life. His early musical training
started when his father kicked a hole in his drum. He studied with the local
accordion teacher for about a year but gave it up when the lesson was on at
the same time as his favourite TV show, 'Zorro'. Early inspiration came from
his mother swooning over Dean Martin, his father's critical analysis of The
Beatles, 'They'll last a week,' and attending a performance of Jose
Feliciano playing 'Flight Of The Bumblebee' on the acoustic guitar while his
seeing-eye dog chewed through the power cord.

He studied architecture at Ohio University for two years but, after smoking
a marijuana cigarette, fell behind in his studies. Desperate to make
something of his life, he dropped out to form a folk -rock band called 'THE
HEADSTONE CIRCUS' with singer JONATHAN EDWARDS. Espousing the hippie
lifestyle, Joe moved to California and lived on the free love commune, Star
Mountain, (however, they still made him pay,) where he cooked polenta for
the community of twenty, and wrote, 'MY HOME AIN'T IN THE HALL OF FAME',
which was recorded by EDWARDS, ROSALIE SORRELS, and J.D. CROWE AND THE NEW
SOUTH.

In Berkeley, he foolishly married and blessedly had two children, working
with modern dance, and doing renovations, any kind of work, really, to
support his deepening addiction to music. Within three years, he had become
hopelessly dependent, consuming three packs of strings, two harmonicas and
several dozen picks a week. In desperation, he enrolled in a correspondence
course with the Betty Ford clinic (actually, he wrote to Gerald). He started
rebuilding his life.

He moved to Australia in 1979 and between then and now, has worked in film
and television, and watched a lot of videos. He received the ADVANCE
AUSTRALIA AWARD in 1982, but misplaced it. Since meeting LIN 'June Carter'
VAN HEK, his life has turned around. This generally has meant that he goes
out when he intends to come in.

Within the last two years, Maestro Dolce has taken to composing more
classically inspired works. He wrote and performed a 15 part song cycle,
'WHEN THE LIPS AND THE SKIN REMEMBER', from the poems of Greek poet, C.P.
CAVAFY, premiered to great acclaim in Melbourne's Greek Antipodes Festival.
His first oratorio, 'JOAN ON FIRE', was performed twice recently by THE
MELBOURNE CHAMBER ORCHESTRA and CHORELATION, (but they'll never admit it.)
The MELBOURNE CHAMBER SINGERS, performed one of his short choral works, 'A
GIRL IS BORN IN BETHLEHEM,' in November, 1998.

Recently completed new works include 'NARCISSUS' (a choral work of 13
miniatures for unaccompanied choir), 'ANNA'S BOX' (an opera, based on a
story by LIN VAN HEK, for SATB soloists, orchestra, string quartet and
Klezmer band), 'AND LET THE WONDER IN' (a 14 movement choral work based on a
theme by Ani Difranco.) His more avant-garde works include an UNTITLED piece
of white paper, (with nothing on it,) but naturally, he doesn't expect the
mainstream public to support this aspect of his oeuvre.) He was recently
commissioned to compose the Dolce ChamberBlues project (for blues harmonica
and string quartet) for the 1999 CASTLEMAINE STATE FESTIVAL, as well as
teaching himself composition and orchestration (when it doesn't conflict
with 'Zorro' reruns.)

<<<<hang on, whadda ya mean, "he wasn't Italian?>>>>