Sinister: i was a looper in new york

Anastasia Signoretta soulobscene at xxx.com
Wed Apr 19 19:38:59 BST 2000

hello listees,

i meant to write this post yesterday but the overwhelming 'adult'
responsibilities that seemed to be flooding my daily life did not allow me
to do that.  i hate being busy.  i actually found a spare moment to realise
that i have become something of a lurker on this list, shame shame on me.

anyway...i wanted to be the first person to post about the new york city
looper gig but alas i was beaten to the task.  thanks adam apparatus for
ruining my brilliant scheme.  :)  so what do i really have to say about the
gig?  well...the looper bit was pretty okay, but not like, amazing.  you
know.  i really enjoyed their gig at tramps here in nyc last summer, and i
think i felt that way largely because of the innovative visual set-up, which
just wasn't present at this show.  there was just this like, big screen
thing.  the performance itself was pretty okay.  stuart david is not nearly
as shy as he seemed to be a summer ago...he was quite the chatterbox
actually.  but the thing is, the songs are just so gosh darn TWEE i just
wasn't feeling it.  you know?  sometimes i wonder if we all love looper
because we all love belle and sebastian.  (oops, have i said too much?  send
those flames my way!)  the band did do 'impossible things,' possibly the
twee-est of the twee set, and i slipped into mad twee mode for those twee
minutes and really enjoyed it.

the flaming lips on the other hand...wow wow wow!  one of those brilliant
live bands.  they too used the 'like, big screen thing' but the film was
synchonized perfectly with their performance and really made a startlingly
beautiful effect.  amazing amazing.  the highlight of the show, definitely,
was the classic 'she don't use jelly' when the whole place went mad in a sea
of rainbow balloons.  again, wow wow wow.  i am writing a review of this
show for the really GRATE indie rock website i sometimes write for, that
being superstar in stereo (http://www.superstarinstereo.com...you got
it!)...you should most definitely look at this site.  lots of happy stuff
going on there.

oh...the loveliest thing about the looper/lips show...ELLIOTT SMITH was
lurking in the audience!  he is so tiny!  i think i love him!  or something.
  speaking of the divine mr. elliott...i've had 'figure 8' for a few weeks
now (god bless cool roommates with promo copy privileges) and it is a
beauty.  all of the songs were written in my voice about my feelings towards
my ex-boyfriend, i think...elliott stop reading my diary!  i am quite
*sniffle* sad because i am unable to attend the in-store at the virgin
megastore here in nyc on friday.  i am hosting a bridal shower in new jersey
on saturday (don't ask) and i cannot make time for dear, sweet elliott.  i
hope he understands.  :)  anyone going to see any of the three dates he's
playing in nyc in may?

oops, sorry for all of the non-b+s there.  let me ask a question then...why
doesn't AT LEAST one napster user have an mp3 of 'legal man'?  i am very
surprised and very disappointed people, hop to it.

so...despite the miserable weather and the fact that everything reminds me
of my gay ex-boyfriend who refuses to speak to me now, things are looking
superfine.  i found out today that the museum of television and radio is
running a marathon of the unaired 'freaks and geeks' episodes next saturday!
  does it get any better than that?  i don't think so.

stasia xx