Sinister: No longer waiting to happen....

James Gilmer grey7 at xxx.net
Thu Apr 20 19:37:46 BST 2000

    Hullo Sinister Siblings!!! The weather is rather dreary but a ray of
sunshine has appeared! I caught "I fought in a War" thanks to Bertrand
posting the link to the French radio program. Standard B&S openning, slow
with just Stu's voice and then the rest of the band joins in. The song
itself is nice but nothing new and it'd be hard to judge the rest of the
album from it. I really wish I had been able to hear "Legal Man" as I'm
interested on how that sounds.
    But the song is solid and you'll all love it since it's right out of the
B&S mold, I simply can't wait for the new album.

    I've notice the tendency of reviewers to be rather self-depreciating in
their reviews of B&S, especially at the college and non-professional levels.
They feel the need to apologize for listening to *wuss* rock and dissing it
while they at the same time praise the genius and beauty of it. A rather
strange mixture, indeed.

    On a personal note I am flying high because I've just been accepted to
Clarion 2000 which is one of the most prestigious writing workshops around.
Only about 17-20 students nation wide are tapped for it and somehow I made
the cut. I am near shock so I hope you'll all excuse me for going on about
it. I feel like dancing right now and I believe I shall go listen to LLPJ a
few dozen times.

    Oh, and cheers to all those who responded to my last post way back when.
You know who you are and you're all brilliant! Especially Emily for turning
me onto Nina Simone and Jeanette for the AP article. Cheers to the Jeff Noon
fans as well!

"Goodbye Rag! Goodbye Tag! Goodbye Bobtail!"

Jim

"We're all out there somewhere, waiting to happen"- Jeff Noon, Vurt