Sinister: So Belle and Sebastian are going to be popular eh?

Alan Singfield alan.singfield at xxx.com
Sun Apr 23 17:56:17 BST 2000

Hello all.

*P*r*o*p*s* to David White for posting this article from the Sunday Mail -
I'm going to Scotland next week but I think all copies of it will be pulp by
then...

> Meanwhile Belle and Sebastian look poised to have their first Top 20 hit
> with the single Legal Man. And music business insiders predict the band
> will shed their shy indie reputation this summer and prove that they have
> what it takes to challenge Steps in the charts, having already beaten them
> in the Brits popularity poll.

> "In terms of the quality of their songs and their looks they can easily
take on
> Steps," said one industry insider who has followed the bands career. "I
think
> they are better looking and better dancers."

> "Legal Man has the potential to go Top 10 and they will get bigger over
this
> summer. Maybe not to Travis levels, but they will be big."

> This could explain Waterman's bizarre outburst and comparison with Peter
> and Gordon. "Mr Waterman should know about cheesy pop stars. He is the
> world expert on the subject," retorted the source. "But Belle and
Sebastian
> certainly are not cheesy."

> "They could have a string of Top 20 singles, number one albums and make
> a lot of money if they wanted. But I think they would become big in the
same
> way as New Order or The Smiths, rather then Steps."

P!O!P!ularity is such a mixed blessing. On the one hand, we'll be able to
put smug indie heads on saying -

	"Well, *I* had a copy of Tigermilk before they'd even written the
songs, in fact, I got mine before Stuart was born. Blah blah early Smiths
etc"

	On the other hand, we'd lose the opportunity for evangelism and
boring our friends with "No, you really should listen to Belle and
Sebastian, they really are very good, no honest, they really are". This is
worth it for the one person who becomes a convert (I nearly wrote convent
then, ho hum) Instead, liking B&S would be like supporting Man Utd - your'e
just one of the masses and there's no personal (if imaginary) relationship
with the band.

	That was frighteningly on-topic, so here's some list abuse:

BUY YOUR SOAP FROM JOHN'S CORNER SHOP.
HELLO LUCY ALDER - MY BUNS ARE CLENCHED FOR YOU...
MY MATE DAZZO IS DOING SOME RAVE DJING IN EAST GRINSTEAD ITS £3 IN.

Looking forward to the new records with baited breath!

Spanners.