Sinister: the big question of "what if..."

Alexander Bartilson alexander.bartilson at xxx.com
Sun Apr 23 13:52:08 BST 2000

Hi,
so the holidays is soon to be over, that's sad but I guess nothing lasts forever (hmm, think I've heard that phrase before).

Just wanted to tell you about a thought that I had the other day. It's based on the "sliding doors"- question of "what if...".
I mean there's a lot of "what ifs" in a persons life. what if I didn't go to that school and I didn't meet those friends. How would I be as a person, what would my interests be etc.
What if I didn't find B & S (we are all experts on getting off-topic mails go on-topic :-) ) and if I didn't subscribe to this list. Maybe this list (more exactly the people on it) will cause me to do something I wouldn't have done otherwise (it's doesn't have to be as drastic as it sounds, just to make a trip or something).
To take an example. What if you go on a trip. On that trip you will probably meet some new people (if you're not going to the Arctics or something). Maybe you will get to know these people and they discussions have with them or probably anything you do with them will change your personality, more or less. You will learn thing about the world and about yourself. that will affect you as a person.
Now imagine being able to compare the person you are after the trip to the one you would have been not going on that particularly journey. You might see totally different persons.

One of the reasons I thought about this was because about two years ago one of my teachers had invited two vegans to talk in front of my class. At that time I was an ordinary meateater. Now I'm a vegetarian and I'm very aware of the animalrights situation. If I haven't met those two vegans I probably wouldn't be the same person today. Just to state an example.

Not that much B & S contents but a small philosophical wondering.

have a nice life.

///Alexander

PS. fun to see that Mick Cooke is on this list. Maybe we can talk him into letting us now some details about the tour. DS