Sinister: a shorty but a goodie

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Mon Apr 24 05:34:21 BST 2000

The issue about "value for money" and the new Looper album is an interesting
one. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with 35 minute albums, and I've
always been more concerned with the musical quality contained within. Take,
for example, "Pink Moon" by Nick Drake. 27 minutes of pure genius, and not a
moment too short. Actually, I don't know I could handle anything more than
27 minutes of something so emotionally intense. It was the shortest album I
owned until I started buying Lucksmiths albums a few years ago. "First Tape"
(with the giraffe on the cover) has 11 songs, and is only 23 minutes long!
(About the same length as the last song on the Ultrasound album!) Felt's
"Poem of the River" is only 26 minutes ....

Hell, I could go on about this all day. The point is, I don't think that
equating album length and value for money is entirely fair. What about, say,
Alanis Morrissette's "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie". About 78 aweful
minutes ..... I'd say a good short album is more 'value-packed' than a long
arse one anyday.

All that being say, the new B&S album could be a triple disc prog-rock epic
and I'd be lapping up every second of it. (Anyone know when the Jeepster
online store is up and running, BTW? I really want to pre-order my single
and album.....)

Oh, and don't you just LOVE the sound flares make as you run down stairs?
Flares make me happy.

Lawrence Mikkelsen
http://www.akn.quik.co.nz/mikelsen/aboutme