Sinister: The last of Italian super pop stars

Arantxa Sanz pcxas at xxx.uk
Mon Apr 24 18:46:41 BST 2000

I am afraid that my perspective of Italian pop must be very different from
all the Anglo-speaking listees, as Spain has always been sort of
traditional playground for Italian celebrities.Cicciolina included, I
guess...And the count Lecquio, but no news about his musical abilities.

My ex housemate and friend ,Dutch-Brit herself, was in Milano with some
friends in a bar about three years ago when started to talk with someone
else in the group she had not met before.What it came later, it was a
Notting Hill dinner party conversation of sorts, with her friends'
consequent embarrasment:

a)What do you do for a living?
b)(quasi bald, shaved-head, dark, latin looking bloke)Errr, I am a teenage
idol now and then...
a)Ah.

He was the so-called Eros Ramazotti, what does not say very much to anyone
in the list, but it said to me when she told this story.From this, my
deduction is that the god-named balladist has not had any hit around here
and does not really qualify in this particular test. What about Zucchero
Fornacciari (not sure about the spelling)? He used to sing with chum Paul
Young very sugary, deep-voiced love choruses.

Going back in time, Umberto Tozzi in the late 70's had a huge success in
the continent with 'Gloria', which pumped-up keyboards keep a mysterious
resemblance pointed out in Spanish musical press with 'Disco 2000' tune.
Maybe he made it in Sheffield, who knows.

Why was I in France,neutral Republique,while Madrid slaughtered ruthlessly
those spoilt kids in ManUni? Neutrality is not fun.

A.