Sinister: an introduction to me

Hoveringsoul hoveringsoul at xxx.com
Mon Apr 24 19:47:22 BST 2000

Hello everybody, I'm new.

On behalf of all of you I'd like to welcome myself to the Sinister List.

This feels like it should be an acceptance speech for my voice, kindly
granted by the sweet sweet Honey, but instead a miniature introduction to me
is on offer.  I won't be offended if you skip it.  Promise.

I live in Dublin.  I'm 19, male and a student.  I love lots of things but
can never seem to settle on one in particular.  I love sport and music and
art and drama and science and books and writing and friends and I'm never
sure what to do next.  If I
could I'd spend my life in college, doing different courses every year in
everything from art to sports science to theology and philosophy to drama
and classical history to theoretical physics.  It's a combination of my
insatiable curiosity, my habit of being easily distracted by information of
any kind and my dread of real, responsible work.

My favourite quotes:

"If it's for you it won't go by you" - My Friend.

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.  If you still don't like
him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes." - Unknown; claimed by my
Friend.

"Take the chance to commit all and fail,
Else at Death's knell chances miss'd prevail" - A poet I've forgotten.  A
good philosophy, in my opinion.

"What, Hippy?" - Rik from "The Young Ones".

That is me - that is all ye know and all ye need to know.  That second bit
is a quote from someone too, but I can't remember who.  You'll learn more
about me as time goes on, or if you ever ask I'll tell you.

*****If you were skipping, I've finished now!*****

On the subject of Waterman et al, I've been thinking, as usual.

He seems bitter that B&S beat steps in the Brits, and has obviously been
upset by the idea that it was an orchestrated mass-vote, and says that B&S
are "cheesy".  By "cheesy" I'm sure he means that they are a band who
produce mindless formulaic music with no feeling and no soul, music that
easily dupes the public into buying the records and becoming fans of the
band, resulting in success without any real show of talent, ingenuity, or of
actual artistic merit.

Firstly, B&S are allowed manufacture a vote or several if they want to,
seeing as he has manufactured the entire (alleged) band that is Steps, and
many more besides, and gotten away without the flogging he deserves for it.

Secondly, if the definition of cheesiness that I just made up above holds
true, then Steps are the latest band to come from the Waterman stable to be
made of solid cheese, and to produce music that stinks accordingly.

One more thought:

Did you ever notice that when you learn a new word, it seems as if everyone
else in the world has it in their everyday vocabulary?  The same applies to
bands, sometimes.  I converted a friend to B&S.  He gave a tape of them to
his friend, who gave him in return a tape of Nick Drake.  It was their first
contact with B&S and my first contact with Nick Drake.  Since then ND has
been mentioned in countless articles and snippets of articles I have read,
either as a fantastic artist in his own right or as an obvious comparison
with B&S.  Now I wonder how I never heard of him before I did.  More
recently, I read a review of The Delgadoes new album.  They got an excellent
review but I'd never heard of them.  Since then I've heard more and more and
more about them from every source available and it seems half of sinister
has already bought the album.

I can only berate myself for my tardiness in learning these new and
wonderful words.

Apologies for boring those of you who made it this far to tears.  I promise
to be more to the point in future, or else I'll cut out the vowels.

Goodbye everybody, I'm not new anymore.

HS

Hovering over "send".....