Sinister: promos, camp psychiatrists and recamping

honey at xxx.org honey at xxx.org
Wed Apr 26 13:15:14 BST 2000

On the subject of talking about the LP before it's released, Nicholas
Dastardus said:
> Perhaps honey would like to rool on this.  Or drool, if he'd prefer.

Oh heck do I have to?  I'll drool anytime you want on command, it's my
job after all, but rooling?  I can't help feeling you're all bedding
this issue down nicely, with no clear consensus, but as in the finest
of online debates by spreading a melange of different views like
strawberry jam on TOAST and agreeing on something or other which
probably amounts to a consideration for others' feelings.  Well ok I'll
try to pretend to say something, but I suspect it won't amount to much
more than regurgitating said TOAST...

1. I wouldn't be daft enough to forbid discussion of the LP before
release day.  Isn't it released the day after the UK in the US from
memory?  What about in China?  Besides, you'd all ignore me :)

2. For those who don't want to know about the new LP, please those who
have promos, tapes or heavenly visions of its contents be sparing, and
make it very obvious what you're about to talk about.  And if it
becomes clear the majority of people would rather wait, please hush.

3. Please don't call people show-off twats on this mailing list
(*growls maternally*).  The Duke will expect me to say this :)
Alistair, I don't know what sort of language you're learning from your
pupils, but see me after class please and you can tuck your shirt in
while you're at it.  I said WALK not RUN!!

4. Oh, I forgot to add.  Naturally the cost of revealing to everyone
you have a promo is that your mailbox will be flooded with mails from
people saying "can I send you a tape and you could...!".  This is
entirely reasonable and to be expected as the cost of your divine
revelations.  And promise me, PROMISE me, everyone who gets a promo,
tape or whatever, that they buy the real thing when it comes out.
Even if you think it's crap.  You should probably buy 5 copies
because you were lucky enough for someone to be nice to you in the
first place.

Nick also said ages ago:
> Stuart had some business cards printed up billing himself as 'Camp
> Psychiatrist'.  His plan was to set up a booth next to the merchandise stall,
> where people could come and gain expert advice on whatever subject was
> troubling them.  Like Lucy in Peanuts but for free.
> I believe he was talked out of it.

Was he?  Awww.  I heard he'd added a phone number for consultations to
the cards too...  Neil the manager's and erstwhile bassist's.  **twang**

Now, another thing.  I don't know of many other mailing lists as active
as this one, and with something rapidly and suddenly approaching 1300
readers, that keeps together like this one does.  It's remarkable and
due to YOU, but it's clear the majority of people aren't having time to
read the majority of posts, and things are being repeated.  This will
do us no good, and is stage one of List Death.  Looking back at the
number of posts to the list per month in the archives I was surprised
to see it isn't any higher than when we were half the size, and a lot
less than a few months after it started.  I therefore can only conclude
that there's a sufficient number of somewhat indigestible posts to the
majority of people that it's making them pick and choose.

I don't mean to be mean, and I'm not picking on anyone specific: I'm
honestly not thinking of any particular posts here.  I'd just like the
few who seem to be flinging mails to the list with gay abandon to
desist, withdraw and recamp (*ignores the potential for poor humour out
of the words "gay" and "recamp", and thinks happily of Alexander in
"Queer As Folk"*).  If you think something might have been posted
before concerning what you're about to say, it's your duty to find out
if it has from the archives and spare us all.  If the little angel who
dances on your shoulder and normally tells you what shoes to buy
whispers to you as you type a long mail "do they *really* want to hear
about this? everyone likes chocolate you know..." then pay heed
please.  And cardinal rule:  if you haven't been able to keep up with
the list, please do before you post yourself.  Don't add to the pile if
you're not prepared to go through it yourself.  And if it's clear you
haven't read THIS mail when you next post to the list, it may get a
little quiet for you subsequently.  I know it sounds mean...ish but
it's the only way to ensure we don't break up into little slightly
ill-tempered islands.

Thank you for not mailing me and telling me I'm wicked for picking on
you. :)  I'm not!  It's a mailing list mummy thang.  You know when your
mum asked you to tidy your room *again* and you hated her for a bit as
she stood there with that look on her face leaning on the vacuum
cleaner and looking at you?  But then you decided it was just her job?
It's like that.

Broken pipe,
List Mummy Honey x