Sinister: Rubbing the impossible to burst

Mark Casarotto Mark at xxx.com
Wed Apr 26 17:25:59 BST 2000

Seems a good time to break my recent silence on sinister - I'm craving some
TOAST, but this is more important.

Or is it? I'm writing because this thing just sent from cheapster
advertising a Q & A session with the Glasgae twee massive (see below) has
annoyed me, and I can't quite put my finger on why. It seems like a crass
and nasty publicity stunt, not an event organised for the people who
actually like the band - shouldn't we be able to buy tickets like normal
people? It screams of New Jeepster style Control tactics - the only thing in
it for the band that I can see is this "event" taking the place of the
endless interviews they're no doubt being pressured to do.

But really, imagine it. A couple of hundred Kids, who are either too shy to
talk to their idols or don't really give a toss, plus a dozen or so journos,
eager for nothing more than a throwaway soundbite or just gagging to have a
go. And just imagine how uncomfortable the band will feel - frail fey
fuckers they may not be in reality, but we're not talking willing
spotlight-sniffers here.

The whole deal reeks of Bad Things to me. Please tell me I'm wrong, but
urgh, it's not making me feel comfortable. I've written an email to David K
and Neil R, but I'm not going to send it - I can't explain well enough why I
find it distasteful. I wouldn't mind some answers, though, so Neil, if you
can allay my fears, please do!

I'll still be trying to get tickets, mind. Maybe someone, ahem, close to the
band could try and wangle a few for a Sinister delegation...

"Belle and Sebastian are to host a Question & Answer evening for media and
fans, on 3rd May, 2000 in London.

All members of the band will be in attendance.

The evening will be split into two parts -

Questions and Answers, followed by a Party, with Richard and Chris DJ'ing.

For the chance to win a ticket for the event, listen in to Radio One's
Evening Session on Thursday 27th April, from 8 - 10pm."

Mark x

The contents of this e mail from HIT Entertainment PLC are
confidential and intended for the addressee only.  If you are not
the intended recipient you must not copy or further distribute
this e mail; please notify us by telephone on 020 7224 1717, and
delete the e mail from your computer.

This e mail has been checked by our anti-virus system before leaving us;
we accept no responsibility for the e mail and any attachments once they
leave us.

www.hitentertainment.com

www.bobthebuilder.org