Sinister: pop?

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Thu Apr 27 10:09:24 BST 2000

So Belle & Sebastian are going to shed their indie image and go "pop" huh?
Ummm ... Belle & Sebastian have ALWAYS been a pop band. But does this mean
they're going to start doing .... (gasp) Interviews? Photo shoots? I don't
buy it. As far as I'm concerned (and I'm really not trying to sound snobbish
here) B&S are just to clever for the pop charts. Note the current crop of
chart heroes ... Britney, NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Bille etc. I just can't
see songs featuring Mark Twain, Dogs on Wheels, Thrush and Catholicism
really making much of a dent. To quote Robert Forster "... too good for the
bloody charts". Look at all the great, intelligent pop bands who only
skimmed the nether regions of the charts .... The Smiths and The Go-Betweens
in particular. There's no deny that they were both great pop .... but fat
lot of good it did them. Much as I'd like to see B&S as world straddling
chart-busters (that way they might tour down in the arse-end of the South
pacific and I'll be able to see them) I just can't see it happening. Best of
luck all the same ..... (and look out Steps ....)

Lawrence Mikkelsen
http://www.akn.quik.co.nz/mikelsen/aboutme