Sinister: More Marjory

honey at xxx.org honey at xxx.org
Fri Apr 28 14:08:06 BST 2000

Mick's latest edition of the B&S diary is included below, also on the
band's WWW site soon I'm told.  I've only just noticed that Nick sent
Stuart's previous entry from March, which featured the return of
Stuart's silver pants.  If you didn't read it, you should now; it's
at:

http://www.myspace.co.uk/belleandsebastian/bus.html

Fabulous.  This one's a great read too.  Mick, you've been reading the
list again haven't you :)

As part of my own contribution to the latest "selling out" endeavours
everyone's making around here, I'm doing a spot of my own selling out
to The Legal Man: you'll notice a new clause in the Sinister FAQ which
exempts me from any responsibility from anything any of you ever say,
anywhere, ever.  Some list owners recently got sued over "publishing"
erroneous advice sent by a list member that hurt little puppies or
something.  So please note that you're responsible for what you say
around here, not me, and it *is* a public forum and viewable by
everyone on the WWW forever.  Even your gran, so be nice to her ok?

The clause is at:

http://www.missprint.org/sinister/faq.html#D

Anyone continuing to use the list is assumed to have agreed to this
from now on.  I tried to write it in Latin but I just couldn't,
sorry.

Naturally, the following article is reproduced by kind permission of
the band's office. :)  Thanks Katrina.

ATP-footie-team-including-band-member picture from Mr Trousers to
follow soon.

Honey x

---

Diary of a Band - Mick Cooke

We shot our first big budget video on Tuesday, for the new single,
'Legal Man'. All our previous videos have been made on a shoe string,
on Super-8, a friend holding the camera. This one had a proper crew,
consisting of a director (Isobel), a producer, a director of film, a
camera man, lighting and sound people, a grip (I think), make-up and
costume people, and various runners. We also hired several actors,
including the guy who played Blake in long-running cheesy '70's sci-fi
series 'Blake's Seven'. His name is Gareth, and he was a  consummate
professional. Other extras included two belly dancers, a couple of
transvestites, two 'dandies', and a girl with a python.

It was all shot in Glasgow University's very own University Union, in
the Reading Room, which had been successfully transformed into a Soho
gentlemen's club circa 1967. A very good place to shoot a video too,
with such fine catering and cheap drink so close to hand.

Back to the budget, it became increasingly obvious as the day wore on
that there are several pro's and con's associated with increasing the
budget of a video, as compared with the el-cheapo method. On the plus
side, you end up with something that definitely looks more
'professional', which won't look quite so out of place next to the
'professional' looking videos you tend to get on the telly. It gives a
boost, no matter how small, to the local film industry (most of whom
are now friends with Richard, whose girlfriend is a big player in film
costume cirlces). And it also gives you more of a chance to get dressed
up to the nines, and get fussed over by the girls in costume and
make-up. On the down side, it certainly is more impersonal, you feel
much more part of the machine, a cog in the engine, an entry on the
schedule. It's more like work, less like fun with your mates.  And it
could be considered by some as 'selling out'. Whatever, it's done, the
spools are off to be processed, Isobel is off to edit it, and I for one
am looking forward to seeing the final product.

As I write this in Glasgow, Scotland, Stevie is in Portland, Oregon,
editing the (lower budget) video for his song on the new LP, 'The Wrong
Girl', and  Isobel is in London, England, about to edit the 'Legal Man'
video. Stuart is also in London, cutting the vinyl of the LP, as is
Chris, who is attending a gig there. The Wednesday this paper is
printed, Belle and Sebastian are holding a press conference in a Soho
club. Then it's off to Berlin for me, Milan for Richard, and
Scandinavia for Stevie, all to do European interviews. All of which
leads me to say that if this is selling out, then hell, it ain't so
bad.

Mick Cooke