Sinister: He could lick 'em by smiling

Alasdair Cook MC1996 acook at xxx.uk
Tue Aug 1 16:03:37 BST 2000

Sleep is the thief of time, Steven. Why then, do I sleep all day, yet
still find the time to write such rubbish? And why do I still feel
tired? Questions without answers are like sheep without pastures.
Confusion reigns supreme. But on to the matter in hand. Specifically,
the following quote:

"Ignorance and spiders should always be given a second chance in Pop".

Who said that? Many of you will not know, but in fact it was Lou Reed,
in my dream the other night. So what did he mean? Well, ignorance is
bliss, so they (whoever *they* may, or indeed, may not be) say. Being an
ignoramous of the highest order myself, I live in a state of perpetual
happiness of course. Which makes me entirely miserable. Which reminds me
of my argument for the non-existence of Heaven (and therefore God?), but
that's another espousing for another time, and, possibly, place. And if
Heaven never existed, at least Heavenly did.

But why relate ignorance to pop music? Many pop stars have shown
misjudgement at one time or another, but is this ignorance or merely
lapse? Opinions to the usual address. Now on to spiders.

Spiders, it might be said, get a "raw deal". Feared by many, reared by
few, they have been mistaken for insects on many occasions. This annoys
them greatly, so I'm told. But remember folks, they're more scared of
you. But spiders in pop? The Spiders From Mars are the obvious example,
but what became of them once Ziggy bit the proverbial dust? Did they
return to their home planet? The facts would seem to suggest no, for no
traces of any Spiders were found by the Pathfinder missions. Although
they could be adept at hiding...

No, far more likely that they found a new planet to settle on, one where
glam rock had yet to be invented, and they would be hailed as pioneering
visionaries. Every spiders's dream. Perhaps they are out there today,
wowing interstellar audiences with the riff from "Devilgate Drive". I'm
almost wiping the tears from my eyes. Almost.

Alasdair xx

PS 'Spiders' was also an album by Space, if memory serves. Told you they
got a raw deal.

PPS It's a simile.