Sinister: I know it's a cliche, but I know it's a cliche

Geoff geoffpritchard at xxx.com
Wed Aug 2 01:33:06 BST 2000

What has happened to Bergerac?  When it was first on TV, Nettles was the
coolest customer around.  For a while during the late eighties, Jersey was
the new black.  Me and my family actually went on a pilgrimage there to
check out all the famous scenery.  I think it would be fair to say Bergerac
was the most doogy thing around, the non-thinking man's Morse.  At least
that is what I thought...

Now, 10 years later the programme has actually aged 40, some sort of twin
paradox I think.  Big John is now married to that old Italian bird out of
Eastenders, the stories are worse than Big Brother, and corrupt business man
Charlie Hungerford looks like he should be on a Worther's Original Advert.
I mean, the other day Polly from Fawlty Towers was married to Michael
Gambon!  My boyhood dreams have been destroyed. The Likely Lads has aged
less.  It's very chicken chicken.

If Bergerac is the downside of being on the dole, the upside is definitely
Cricket.  I feel sorry for any of you who will be earning money instead of
watching the next thrilling instalment of England vs West Indies.  I
wouldn't swap with you for the world.

Why don't Belle and Sebastian release Loneliness of a Middle Distance Runner
to coincide with the Olympic Games?  They could include Steve Cram singing
Stars of Track and Field and then maybe Michael Johnson could dedicate his
400m gold medal to Photo Jenny, 'They've got the drugs I could use, but then
I don't need any'.

This cat has started walking into our house, strutting up and down the
kitchen like he owns the joint.  I gave him a saucer of milk and some
batter.  He hasn't started sitting on our sofa yet, but I wouldn't be
surprised it he did soon.