Sinister: pop titans at the beginning of time

gogron gogron at xxx.uk
Wed Aug 2 12:20:09 BST 2000

With reference to an article in last week's *New Scientist* magazine,
and a posting the other day suggesting the implications of the word
'sinister', I append the following:

MAGNETIC FIELDS FROM SPACE MAY HAVE PUSHED LIFE TO THE LEFT
Molecules are generally to be found in both 'left-handed'(sinister) or
'right-handed'(dexter) forms. However, all life on earth uses only
'sinister' amino acid molecules to make its proteins...
The effect of 'handing' molecules was formerly thought to be caused by
polarized light, but this type of light is extremely rare in the
universe. Recently, some guys in a lab in France found that a similar
effect to that of polarized light could be obtained by using unpolarized
light in a magnetic field.
Earth's magnetic fields aren't very strong, but the presence of
extra-terrestrial magnetic fields around the same time as life was
forming on earth may be the cause behind the 'sinister' basis of life on
earth.

Now, I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I reckon the above
constitutes a fair whack at a new cosmology, with the key players
currently represented by cool pop  we know and love, bringing us
together in happy harmony...

Now, let us continue with the 60th Love Song, in your sleeve notes at
page...

hehe

Gordon